Dale Darling

Default Larson - Certified POS

I ordered a new 2003 Larson LXi 210 w/260 hp Volvo 5.7L GL/SX in March 2003
and picked it up in May. I purchased one because a friend bought a 2001 LXi
212 and had no problems with it.

Within the first 9 weeks, my boat had spent 21 days at the dealer due to the
following issues:
Depth Finder didn't work from day 1. Out of stock. Replaced after 5
weeks.
Alternator bad. Replaced after 4 weeks.
Battery Replaced..
Grounding problem causing blower and radio not to work. Fixed.
Trim gauge would misread. Needle would float up and down. Fixed.
Trailer surge brake (EZ Loader tandem axle) actuator locks up brakes but
will not disengage. Replaced.
Cockpit cover arrived 2 weeks late.
Left Bimini support pole not secure and would dislodge during trailering
or on the water.
Hour meter didn't work. Fixed.
Cheesy stick-on graphics continually fell off.

What the hell was the OK QUALITY CHECK tag doing hanging from the transom of
this piece of crap when it was put on a trailer?

I contacted Larson 3 times but only received an apology and some clothing.
Big deal! They even admitted to me that someone screwed up and I received
the transducer for the depth finder a week late because someone documented
that it shipped but never put it on the truck. OMG!

They didn't laugh when I said I would name the boat, "Lemon Juice". I
shouldn't have to haul the boat back to the dealer to replace items on a new
boat.

Another POS story: The dealer wanted to give me a deal on their 2004 Cabrio
220 cuddy so I took it out for a sea trial. Get this, the sounder would only
provide a reading while at idle speed, the trim gauge was worthless (I'm
better off guessing where the trim is) and the speedometer didn't work at
all! Did they take the parts off my old boat?

I started with a used 1998 Bayliner Capri 1850 SS (4.3L 190hp Merc) and had
no problems whatsoever. Was I just lucky? I don't feel lucky. I just wanted
a bigger boat. At the ramp other new Larson owners would ask me how I like
my boat. I think I scared them when I recited my dissatisfaction with the
piece of crap I had.

I no longer have the 210 and plan on buying another boat from Sea Ray, Four
Winns, or Glastron. I live in Maine and I have 8 months of winter to decide.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Larson or another
manufacturer?

Dale

Dan J.S.

"Dale Darling" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I had a Wellcraft with similar problems you had. This is why we need
Japanese to enter the boat market again. The quality of American boats is
similar to the quality on 80's made American cars - it sucks! Unless you
are talking 30 + foot boats, most are just built poorly.

Clams Canino

I love my new Seaswirl - but I gotta say I've noticed a variety of QC issues
with it too.

Mismounted cooler / same bimini issues / funky guage / missing snaps for the
snap in carpet / cheesy rub-rail / easily chipped gel-coat / totally
mislabled fuse block etc etc.......

I have mine all straightened out now - but I *can* do that stuff - the
average user would have been quite perplexed.

The problems don't seem to be with the *design* of the boats for the most
part. It's largely with assembly and QC, with some issues in the area of
"parts selection".

I don't know WTF is happening on the assembly lines.

-W

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:14:45 +0000, Dale Darling wrote:

I ordered a new 2003 Larson LXi 210 w/260 hp Volvo 5.7L GL/SX in March 2003
and picked it up in May. I purchased one because a friend bought a 2001 LXi
212 and had no problems with it.

Within the first 9 weeks, my boat had spent 21 days at the dealer due to the
following issues:

There's a guy temporarily in the slip next to mine in a 2000 26-ft Cobalt.
Why? Port engine cracked a head. Boat was immaculately maintained, 3yrs
old, engine lunched. Still on "warranty", but he has to stay at the dock,
waxing the hull over and over, for almost a month now (best weather we've
had in years), while the "dealer" fixes the problem ("parts on back-order...")

Makes me like my $5K 20-yr-old boat better and better...

Lloyd Sumpter

Bill Andersen

While there were QC problems, Larson did apologize, correct them, and give
you some gifts.
Makes us curious as to what you wanted them to do.
Your reaction to their admission of a shipping error makes it seem that it's
the first time you heard of such a mistake.
Sounds like you just wanted to complain.

[...]

Steve Barker

Sorry to hear of your problems. Our '01 210 LXI has been literally perfect
short of a noisy fuel pump that was promptly replaced. 75 hours now without
a hiccup.

Just FYI, the four you mentioned at the bottom come from the same place the
Larsen did.

http://www.genmar.com/

--
Steve
=======================
"Dale Darling" wrote in message
.. .

I no longer have the 210 and plan on buying another boat from Sea Ray,

Four
Winns, or Glastron. I live in Maine and I have 8 months of winter to

decide.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Larson or another
manufacturer?

Dale

JR North

Teething problems. Most of the stuff isn't Larson, but other
manufacturers stuff. True, a quality check *should* have
found some of the problems. Others, maybe not.
My MaXum 2550 SCR, new in 1990, had it's bitch list also.
The tach didn't work. They said they had to order another
one. I looked under the dash; it was just unplugged. The
power steering actuator chattered on turns. They replaced
it, cross threaded the pipes, and I found out when I got a
couple quarts of PS fluid in the bilge my first time out
afterwards. Several other small items; I bitched their
service dept blue until they were all corrected. Under
warranty. Now, 13 years old, the boat is perfect; no other
major problems.
In accessing the boat's quality, look to the fit/finish,
construction, power package alignment, hull lay up,
controls, wiring integrity. If the deck seam, portholes,
hatches leak, if the bulkheads pull loose, or if the deck
stress cracks or pops off when you take a capped 5 footer in
the kisser, then you have a POS. Otherwise, make them fix
everything, under warranty, and enjoy the boat.
JR

Dale Darling wrote:

[...]

Jim Kelly

Larson did not build the depth finder, alternator, battery, trim gage, trailer
or hour meter. You could have received these very same parts on a boat that
cost twice as much.

I notice that one of the boats you are considering, due to your misdirected
anger with Larson, is Glaspar. You clearly do not know much about boats or who
manufacturer them.

Dale Darling wrote:

[...]

Dan J.S.

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
Larson did not build the depth finder, alternator, battery, trim gage,

trailer
or hour meter. You could have received these very same parts on a boat

that
cost twice as much.

I notice that one of the boats you are considering, due to your

misdirected
anger with Larson, is Glaspar. You clearly do not know much about boats

or who
manufacturer them.

Dale Darling wrote:

I wonder if you had the same attitude if you bought a car and it fell apart
on you, and someone would blame it on the manufacturer of the spark plugs,
alternator, battery and tires.