Default Satellite Busters

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:25:54 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:48:04 -0500, BAR wrote:

The article stated that they have a "modified" missile they are going
launch from a naval ship in the Pacific. The questions I have is what
altitude will the missile intercept the satellite and how long have we
been working on this "modified" missile?

I can't see us coming up with a "modified" missile, launched from a
surface vessel, in just a couple of months that is capable of
intercepting an object in space.

I believe this is an opportunity to flex our muscles.

Old technology. We've been able to bring down satellites since the
mid-80s.

Are you sure about that?
How?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strateg...or_.28ERINT.29

I don't think any of those "Star Wars" concepts were sufficiently developed
in the mid-80s to hit a satellite in a re-entry mode from earth orbit. Most
were anti-missile systems (not orbital).

Eisboch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:25:54 -0500, Eisboch wrote:

Old technology. We've been able to bring down satellites since the
mid-80s.

Are you sure about that?
How?

Eisboch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

Never knew about that. Thanks.

Eisboch

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:25:54 -0500, Eisboch wrote:

Are you sure about that?
How?

Eisboch

Apparently, this intercept will be with a modified SM 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_missile

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:16:38 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

This should be interesting.

The US has decided to shoot down a failed satellite that is expected to drop
out of orbit in early March.
There is concern that half of the 5,000 lb satellite may remain intact and
hit the earth in a yet unknown area.

The plan is to shoot it down before it enters the earth's atmosphere with a
missile fired from a US Navy ship.

Details at 11.

Apparently it's some version of the missile that has a 11 out of 13
success rate in testing.

Love to watch the shot - that ought to be fun to watch.

They are going to shoot it down right before it enters the atmosphere.
Senior Member

On Feb 14, 5:35*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:16:38 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:
This should be interesting.

The US has decided to shoot down a failed satellite that is expected to drop
out of orbit in early March.
There is concern that half of the 5,000 lb satellite may remain intact and
hit the earth in a yet unknown area.

The plan is to shoot it down before it enters the earth's atmosphere with a
missile fired from a US Navy ship.

Details at 11.

Apparently it's some version of the missile that has a 11 out of 13
success rate in testing.

Love to watch the shot - that ought to be fun to watch. *

They are going to shoot it down right before it enters the atmosphere.

So, where are they gonna' "set" it down? Did you tell them yet? Do you
have a good place to watch from? You know, if you have em' bust it
right over your house, it would probably land on Harrys' LTP...
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:16:38 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:
This should be interesting.

The US has decided to shoot down a failed satellite that is expected to drop
out of orbit in early March.
There is concern that half of the 5,000 lb satellite may remain intact and
hit the earth in a yet unknown area.

The plan is to shoot it down before it enters the earth's atmosphere with a
missile fired from a US Navy ship.

Details at 11.

Apparently it's some version of the missile that has a 11 out of 13
success rate in testing.

Love to watch the shot - that ought to be fun to watch. *

They are going to shoot it down right before it enters the atmosphere.

So, where are they gonna' "set" it down? Did you tell them yet? Do you
have a good place to watch from? You know, if you have em' bust it
right over your house, it would probably land on Harrys' LTP...- Hide quoted text -

With the rocket going up, and Tom looking for a place to sit and
observe, I am reminded of this clip, ......only in reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0
BAR BAR is offline

wrote:

[...]

One of the most fun things to do in this world is watch a missile shoot.
I got to watch a HAWK missile shoot quite a number of years ago. It was
almost as much fun as blowing up stuff yourself.

I'd pay money to be in the CIC of that cruiser when they shoot the bird
down.

Senior Member

On Feb 14, 5:50*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:35:21 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:16:38 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

This should be interesting.

The US has decided to shoot down a failed satellite that is expected to drop
out of orbit in early March.
There is concern that half of the 5,000 lb satellite may remain intact and
hit the earth in a yet unknown area.

The plan is to shoot it down before it enters the earth's atmosphere with a
missile fired from a US Navy ship.

Details at 11.

Apparently it's some version of the missile that has a 11 out of 13
success rate in testing.

Love to watch the shot - that ought to be fun to watch. *

Sure, sure. It will all be lots of fun until someone pokes their eye out.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, you're a funny guy for a koolaid drinker...

TV satellite RR Electronics 0 March 5th 07 03:54 PM
Myth Busters Hydrogen Bull [email protected] General 5 May 18th 06 04:50 AM
Myth Busters Eisboch General 3 July 7th 05 06:28 AM
NetKKKop Busters... Thank-You..but Capt. Mooron ASA 53 April 5th 05 11:26 PM
Satellite TV Fred Miller Electronics 3 July 20th 04 03:50 AM