Default Spending that Economy Booster

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:51:56 -0500, BAR wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:29:53 -0600, "Brad Darnell"
wrote:

What a joke why does the government seem to hate single people.

Because you are single.

Duh... :)

Explain the marriage penalty Mr. Overlord sir.

I don't do details - I only set policy.

And my policy is to tax everybody within a inch of being bankrupt.

Keeps the masses in their place. :)
RG RG is offline

Explain the marriage penalty Mr. Overlord sir.

Holy smokes. Only those that have never been married would require such an
explanation. For the rest of us, it has been indelibly seared into our very
beings with no room for misunderstanding, misinterpretation or ambiguity.
Some of us, after having broken free from the shackles of matrimony, have
inexplicably volunteered ourselves back into servitude. Moths to a flame, I
tell ya. Moths to a flame.

On Jan 25, 6:29�am, "Brad Darnell" wrote:
Im not getting one despite paying a higher % of taxes than just about
everyone. I make about 85K and live with my ex wife, the cut off is 75k.
What a joke why does the government seem to hate single people. I also fall
into the alternative min tax ever damn year.

No offense, but if at $85k you are paying a higher percentage of tax
than just about anybody and getting slapped with ATM every year you
need a new financial strategy- or at least a new tax advisor. That's
not a bad salary, but in today's economy it hardly positions you among
the financially elite.

If you're splitting the mortgage or rent with your ex-wife, you've
probably got $800-1k a week to spend after taxes. Giving you $600
isn't going to increase your consumer spending enough to make any
difference.
The family trying to raise two kids while holding down three full time
$18,000 per year jobs (between two people) will be able to actually
make some sort of purchase that would previously have been out of
reach.

If I wanted to get political, I'd observe that the cash is supposed to
"trickle down" in May, historically the peak of the annual gasoline
price rape. If I wanted to get political, I'd wonder whether this is
merely another scheme to transfer more public money to private
companies; something that has been out of hand now for a good many
years.

On Jan 25, 4:52�am, hk wrote:
If you're going to get one of those spiffy economy boosting checks from
the feds, what will you do with the proceeds?

(a) �pay off consumer debt (the smart thing to do)

(b) �buy food

(c) �buy gasoline

(d) �buy some more goods made in China

(e) �have a fun evening with wine, women and song

Have you seen the details of the HR plan?

Above $176,000 family income you get nada.

I doubt you'll have to worry about how to spend your check.

But no big deal, folks lucky enough to be in the upper middle class
don't really need a government handout.

I continue to favor a flat tax on all income, including inheritance
and capital gains. Hopefully, the rate would be in the high teens or
no higher than the low 20's. Loopholes would all but disappear.
Regulations would have to be carefully crafted to realistically define
"profit" without all the nonsense that prevails today. To help take
care of the poor, families earning less than $60,000 per year
or thereabouts would be exempt from federal income tax entirely.

That would put more money into the economy on a permanent basis.
BAR BAR is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:52�am, hk wrote:
[...]

I'll go with a 15% flat tax on income, Fed, State and Local can split it
up anyway they want. All other taxes will go away.

"hk" wrote in message
If you're going to get one of those spiffy economy boosting checks from
the feds, what will you do with the proceeds?

(a) pay off consumer debt (the smart thing to do)

(b) buy food

(c) buy gasoline

(d) buy some more goods made in China

(e) have a fun evening with wine, women and song

Since I have no debt (if you don't count property taxes), I'll take E, and
maybe a little B for my boat.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:52:19 -0500, hk wrote:

If you're going to get one of those spiffy economy boosting checks from
the feds, what will you do with the proceeds?

(a) pay off consumer debt (the smart thing to do)

(b) buy food

(c) buy gasoline

(d) buy some more goods made in China

(e) have a fun evening with wine, women and song

New computer.
--
Mackerel Snapper

Kippered wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:52:19 -0500, hk wrote:

If you're going to get one of those spiffy economy boosting checks from
the feds, what will you do with the proceeds?

(a) pay off consumer debt (the smart thing to do)

(b) buy food

(c) buy gasoline

(d) buy some more goods made in China

(e) have a fun evening with wine, women and song

New computer.
--
Mackerel Snapper

Whatever you do, don't get Vista!

Which one are u looking at.

You many want to check out Mac when you consider the software they
include as standard, it is competitive with Windows

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:14:29 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is
Here wrote:

Kippered wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:52:19 -0500, hk wrote:

If you're going to get one of those spiffy economy boosting checks from
the feds, what will you do with the proceeds?

(a) pay off consumer debt (the smart thing to do)

(b) buy food

(c) buy gasoline

(d) buy some more goods made in China

(e) have a fun evening with wine, women and song

New computer.
--
Mackerel Snapper

Whatever you do, don't get Vista!

Which one are u looking at.

You many want to check out Mac when you consider the software they
include as standard, it is competitive with Windows

I wouldn't go with a brand name like Dell, Gateway, or whatever. There's a
computer shop down the road that will build them to order. I'll pay the
extra hundred or two for them to do the work. I'll have to pick out the
motherboard, etc, etc, etc. I'll ask for advice here, and some of the
experts will offer it.

Of course, there will be a 'couple' who will talk about how stupid I am.
But, that's OK! It'll be good for my Karma.
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:39:28 -0500, Kippered
wrote:

I wouldn't go with a brand name like Dell, Gateway, or whatever. There's a
computer shop down the road that will build them to order. I'll pay the
extra hundred or two for them to do the work. I'll have to pick out the
motherboard, etc, etc, etc. I'll ask for advice here, and some of the
experts will offer it.

Yeah. And case advice too. You need good case advice.

--Vic

USB WI-FI BOOSTER RR Electronics 4 March 28th 07 07:11 PM
West Marine Spending Spree Capt. Rob ASA 29 January 13th 06 03:28 PM
Discretionary Spending Hits Record Levels Under Bush NOYB General 1 June 10th 05 06:57 AM