posted to rec.boats.electronics
RR RR is offline

Default USB WI-FI BOOSTER

I read in one of the forums that one has bought 2 boosters,
as if one is for receiving and one for transmitting.
Does that makes any sense?
I was hoping that one is sufficient for both ups and downs

RR wrote:
I read in one of the forums that one has bought 2 boosters,
as if one is for receiving and one for transmitting.
Does that makes any sense?
I was hoping that one is sufficient for both ups and downs

The AirLink USB booster with directional patch antenna for instance
outputs 13dBm and contains the required switches between Tx and Rx
modes.It is quite small but of course directional but suitable for
placing on top of the cabin.
Dick
posted to rec.boats.electronics
RR RR is offline

THANKS!

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:09:39 +0200, RR wrote:

I read in one of the forums that one has bought 2 boosters,
as if one is for receiving and one for transmitting.
Does that makes any sense?
I was hoping that one is sufficient for both ups and downs

I only use one and it works very well but then I am no SME in this
area

cheers
Peter H

On Mar 21, 4:44 pm, Peter Hendra wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:09:39 +0200, RR wrote:
I read in one of the forums that one has bought 2 boosters,
as if one is for receiving and one for transmitting.
Does that makes any sense?
I was hoping that one is sufficient for both ups and downs

I only use one and it works very well but then I am no SME in this
area

cheers
Peter H

Perhaps Mr. Kearney will weigh in as well, but I've done that.

Boosters suffer from line loss if you're trying to get the signal to
an antenna, or from your computer, or both, some distance away.
There's significant signal loss in coax cable at the 801.11x
frequency. The advantage to one at each end is that you can send the
data over an ethernet cable, with no loss, and, as well, get local
wifi (use your computer without wires to the setup) at whatever range
you select on the bottom end.

Twiddling allows more functionality than just that; one may hook up
additional wifi devices (printer, e.g.) as well as enjoy internet
telephony (Vonage, e.g.) - and, depending on the setup, perhaps with
only the top end item running (no computer, no second device needed if
your VOiP unit is connected to an open source access point, acting as
your internet feed as it would be if you were connected to DSL or
cable at home.

It's how I'm on line and can talk to my mother in law in England, or
Lydia her twin in Hong Kong (or both at once, on a conference/three-
way call, with the two wireless handsets which associate with the VOiP
router from Vonage), while we're both surfing the web, if the
bandwidth is sufficient (typical of any broadband access point you'll
connect to). It's also how we (in our setup) were able to make calls
from 3 miles out in Tampa Bay during a couple of our sea trials. In
one case, we made the calls. In another, a call came in (our number,
thanks to LNP, is the same as I've had for more than 30 years) and we
three-way-called Lydia's bank to get the info the broker needed...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.

You seek problems because you need their gifts.

WI-FI BOOSTER Richard Lane Electronics 5 March 23rd 07 07:25 PM
WiFi - Wireless Booster Antenna Mic Electronics 0 July 13th 05 12:50 PM
World First Cancer Immune Booster PJR ASA 0 April 14th 05 12:29 AM
GPS antenna booster? not! BOEING377 Electronics 1 November 24th 03 02:10 AM
WTD: Riot Booster 50 Peter UK Paddle 0 November 18th 03 01:47 PM