Default Install or not install...

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:15:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:54:24 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Meaning, the program locked up?

Yep, had to kill the task. Then it wouldn't start because of
a "corrupted DB" error. I had simply clicked a function.
Can't remember what it was. Probably the "Warning! Don't click this
Bad Software Button!"

And the 3M post-it thing did weird things
to your screen?

Artifacts all over the place. Didn't like it anyway.
I'm a gamer, and modern, demanding games work slick as ice without
tinkering. I'm not going looking for drivers/incompatabilities to get
a program I don't care about to work correctly. BTDT.

--Vic

While it's possible to get two items of software in 48 hours, both of which
cause problems, it seems a bit odd. I wonder if your computer's got
problems. If you liked the 3M program and the weird screen behavior was the
ONLY reason you got rid of it, you might want to check to see if you have
the latest video drivers for your machine.

No, it's not odd to find 2 examples of freeware/shareware
faulty/incompatable out of maybe a dozen tested.
BTW, maybe a dozen years ago I dl'ed a number of "search and replace"
shareware apps to test. This type app was late coming to the Win/PC
environment.
One was a stand out, and I had already decided to purchase it.
Before that happened I worked my way through menu options of
an obscure function. Can't remember exactly what.
I reached a place which offered one option, and no other way out.
The option was "Erase C: Drive."
A very unfunny joke.
I killed the app, and e-mailed the major shareware site's admin,
telling him what I found and to get it off the site.
He e-mailed back, saying he saw nothing wrong.
So I sent him the exact sequence to reach the menu.
He got back to me a few minutes later, saying something like
"Oh ****. Thanks. It's gone."
And it was. But what a shame somebody screwed up sales
of a good utility. Maybe it came back later with a new name.
I guess my point is nothing surprises me about software - writing
a lot professionally helps too.
Your driver advice is good, but I don't care to update mine for the
3M program. Might screw up something I care about.

--Vic

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:22:47 -0500, BAR wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:04:29 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:02:27 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:21:12 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
Am I missing something?
Nope. If a wall calendar works, it works.
Not necessarily a wall calendar - I have an organizer in my checkbook
that I write everything in and check every morning.

What's a checkbook? But...when I used one, I didn't always keep it
balanced.

I haven't used a checkbook since I got married. But, I have written
about 5 or 10 checks in the last 15 years.

I use mine all the time - I prefer it to plastic even though it
drives some retailers nuts. Screw 'em.

I'm also paranoid about online payments. I have a seperate card that
I use with a strict hard cash limit of $100 and a credit limit of $1K.
If I have to buy something over that limit, I'll go to a store.

I'm not always at my computer.

Me either. So I want my calendar/reminder software to be able to
print something to hang on the wall by the kitchen refrigerator, my
favorite place. That'll remind me to turn on the computer to see
what's happening, and if I need some new software.

Blackberry, it is my memory for phone numbers and my calendar too.

My cell phone is acting flakey - I've been thinking abut a Blackberry.

We've been using our Motorola T730 for almost three years now. At any time
I can go to Aliant and get a new phone free...or for a nominal price if I
sign a 1 or 2 year contract. Asked my son about the Blackberrys but he
laughed at me. Said it would be serious overkill for my infrequent calls or
text messages.
One of his buddies works for the Aliant company and says the Samsung models
are reliable. I just may look at the M510 or M620 version.
Just checked the prices and looks like I missed the great deals before
Christmas. D'oh!
http://productsandservice.aliant.net...jsp&curbody=22

wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:21:12 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

Am I missing something?

Nope. *If a wall calendar works, it works.

Not necessarily a wall calendar - I have an organizer in my checkbook
that I write everything in and check every morning.

I'm not always at my computer.

A checkbook, what's that?

wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:21:12 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

Am I missing something?

Nope. If a wall calendar works, it works.

Not necessarily a wall calendar - I have an organizer in my checkbook
that I write everything in and check every morning.

I'm not always at my computer.

I look at my checkbook about every month or so, Only if I have to send a
check off somewhere. I use the Debit card, and the wife writes the bills.
My reminder is SWMBO. She is very organized and keeps the calendar up to
date.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:59:12 -0800, "Calif Bill"

.. .
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:21:12 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

Am I missing something?

Nope. If a wall calendar works, it works.

Not necessarily a wall calendar - I have an organizer in my checkbook
that I write everything in and check every morning.

I'm not always at my computer.

I look at my checkbook about every month or so, Only if I have to send a
check off somewhere. I use the Debit card, and the wife writes the bills.
My reminder is SWMBO. She is very organized and keeps the calendar up to
date.

Oddly - Mrs. Wave does much the same.

I don't have a debit card for a variety of reasons.

Mostly having to do with being post-modern Luddite. :)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:58:06 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:07:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

My problem with Outlook 2000 was that it had no place for adding written
notes that were connected with a contact.

Right. It was real good for scheduling though. I looked at the
Outlook Express on my PC, and the address book looks the same as
Outlook's, but it doesn't even have a calendar.
I'll let you know when I find a calendar/contacts/alarm combo I like.
'Course that'll be just what works for me.

Okay, found what I want. 25 bucks.
All functions are very intuitive.
Simple calendar which does appointments and is integrated with
birthdays in the address book. Birthday alarms have "time before"
options.
Calendar is a simple traditional one month view, but scrollable.
Can be set to pop up the "day" window at Win startup, so if you have
an appointment or it's somebody's birthday, you can't miss it.
Address book can export/import/print.
Address fields are easily added/deleted. Like fax, or unneeded
address lines. There is note tab for addressees, and it has Word-like
functionality. You can also click on addressee e-mail address and it
invokes your e-mail client, or web address to invoke browser.
Any addressee, note or appointment can be turned into a sticker by
clicking an icon.
It has a password keeper, which I won't use as it's not encrypted.
Uses very little resources.
I tried about 25 calendar/pim suites.
None were as intuitive as this. Only one had address book
birthday/calendar integration, but was otherwise lacking.
One had a real nice calendar, and I even filled all 12 months with
personal Florida fish, boat and wife photos, and I hated dumping it,
but it didn't do what I was after.
Integrated address book/calendar/alarm which will be used daily..
All in all it was easy to decide on this one, once I found it.
Anyway, I told you I'd let you know.

--Vic

..

help on pilings install kyle General 5 March 1st 07 07:33 PM
help with vhf radio install Charlie Brown General 32 September 16th 06 02:39 PM
Bimini Top Install Question.. oelf92 General 8 August 10th 06 08:38 PM
where to install footbraces? D. B. Rea General 2 June 27th 04 01:28 PM
VIRUS DO NOT INSTALL [email protected] General 0 September 24th 03 02:40 AM