Default Install or not install...

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:56:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
Mrs H got an almost free MS Office Enterprise 2007 from her job. We've
not
had any problems with Office 2000. Running XP.

Would you install or not install?
--
John H
Considering your skill level, I wouldn't do anything to YOUR computer

Well, I'm sure not as proficient as you, Jimh, and Harry. You guys
definitely know most of what there is to know about computers!
--
John H

Here are two examples of things that would drive you to drink even more
than you already do:

Install problems plague Office 2007 SP1

On Patch Tuesday this month, Dec. 11, the arrival of Service Pack 1 for
Office 2007 was confusing to many people. I haven't yet found any Patch
Watch readers whose machines automatically installed SP1. But many people
inadvertently installed it and thought it had been auto-installed,
because Vista offers SP1 as an optional patch and it's prechecked, so
it's easy to miss the fact that you're approving SP1's installation.

Some people who have the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or
Home/Student versions of Office 2007 are finding that they get a cryptic
78F error when they try to install SP1. It appears that the cure for this
requires that you uninstall Office and then reinstall it.

As one newsgroup poster pointed out in a forum post, that works only when
you have an install disc. If you don't, you'll need to contact the OEM
manufacturer for a replacement.

Office 2003 SP3 hurts Access, old file formats

If you've decided to spend time installing all the latest service packs
this holiday season, Office 2003 SP3 is something you should consider -
as long as you don't have an Access 2003 database. Access developers are
still recommending that you hold back before installing SP3 for Office
2003.

For the rest of you, if you've already installed SP3 and you find you
can't open older versions of files in Word and Excel, a documented
Registry edit can allow you to use those files once again.

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 938810, which describes this
workaround, is a bit tricky. For this reason, I built a file that makes
the necessary Registry changes for you. It's posted on a blog page from
which you can download a .zip file that contains officefix.reg.
Right-click this file, then click Merge to make the changes to your
Registry.

Why would Herring need Orifice 2007?

I just knew he would be posting about another problem sooner or later. He
really is clueless as evidenced by his constant need for people to help make
a simple decision for him.

JimH,
Try reading some of your posts: Remember this one: (My mechanic wants to
install the incorrect thermostat in my boat, should I let him, oh by the
way, this is the same guy who told me I didn't need to replace my
impeller because water was coming out of the pee hole)

wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
Mrs H got an almost free MS Office Enterprise 2007 from her job. We've not
had any problems with Office 2000. Running XP.

Would you install or not install?
--
John H

Considering your skill level, I wouldn't do anything to YOUR computer unless
you need to solve a clear problem. Every new product, especially from MS,
carries new risks. Leave it alone.

Well, I'm sure not as proficient as you, Jimh, and Harry. You guys
definitely know most of what there is to know about computers!

Office 2007 has reported as many or more problems than Vista.

I think I'll lose it.
--
John H

"John H." wrote in message

Mrs H got an almost free MS Office Enterprise 2007 from her job. We've
not
had any problems with Office 2000. Running XP.

Would you install or not install?
--
John H

Not being particularly computer literate, nor do I care to be, here's the
way I look at it, FWIW.

Unless there's a compelling reason to change from what is working, I leave
it alone.
I use programs until they just don't work anymore due to some "advancement"
in an OS, or it simply becomes so obsolete that I can't use it for current
applications.

Almost every time I've changed to something different when what I had served
the purpose well, I regretted it because it often screwed something else up.

Leave well enough alone.

Eisboch

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:26:13 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message

[...]

Yup, thanks.

And, you may have missed my well wishes yesterday, with all the excitement.
Glad to hear there were no problems with the demo ride.
--
John H

wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:30:07 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Mrs H got an almost free MS Office Enterprise 2007 from her job. We've not
had any problems with Office 2000. Running XP.

Would you install or not install?

Be aware the DOCX files Office 2007 produces are pretty much "write
only storage" for the rest of the world.

Sites like this will convert them, but what a pain in the ass for other
users. And, obviously unsuitable for anything considered secure.

HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
[...]

Maybe Reggie will swish up there and help him.

"BAR" wrote in message
news
Is there enough room up Harry's ass with Don White's head already in up to
the shoulders?

How would you know...unless you're bucking for space up there?
Stick to your own kind... the stronger aroma suites you better.

help on pilings install kyle General 5 March 1st 07 07:33 PM
help with vhf radio install Charlie Brown General 32 September 16th 06 02:39 PM
Bimini Top Install Question.. oelf92 General 8 August 10th 06 08:38 PM
where to install footbraces? D. B. Rea General 2 June 27th 04 01:28 PM
VIRUS DO NOT INSTALL [email protected] General 0 September 24th 03 02:40 AM