Default Honda 4 Stroke 2HP engine problem

I have a 2HP (thats not a typo), 4 stroke honda engine. Think I got
it in 2005. I tried starting it up last night. Took about 50 pulls.
Fine no biggie, it hasn't been run in a few months. It idles like a
champ, but when I go to rev it bogs down real quick and will die, if I
don't let off the throttle. Pulled the spark plug, its fine.

Could a jet be clogged in the carb? I used a gas stabilizer in the
gas, so it would go bad as fast, so I dont think its my gas. Thanks
for any replies.

Clogged main jet (I doubt a 2 HP is injected...) You MAY get it cleared
just by running it and throttling up until the crap goes through or
dissolves. Failing that, you can sometimes clear a carb by hand choking
the intake while revving the motor. Remove palm before the engine
stalls. Failing that, you can sometimes clear a jet by finding the main
jet air bleed port in the carb venturi, and spraying some carb clean
down it. Failing that, try filling the float bowl with said carb clean.
This may help clear the clog as the cleaner goes through. Failing that,
o/haul carb.
That should keep you busy a while.
JR

ULB wrote:
I have a 2HP (thats not a typo), 4 stroke honda engine. Think I got
it in 2005. I tried starting it up last night. Took about 50 pulls.
Fine no biggie, it hasn't been run in a few months. It idles like a
champ, but when I go to rev it bogs down real quick and will die, if I
don't let off the throttle. Pulled the spark plug, its fine.

Could a jet be clogged in the carb? I used a gas stabilizer in the
gas, so it would go bad as fast, so I dont think its my gas. Thanks
for any replies.

ULB wrote in
:

It idles like a
champ, but when I go to rev it bogs down real quick and will die, if I
don't let off the throttle.

Did we run the CARB totally dry or drain it out BEFORE we stored it?

No? The gas in the bowl turned to shellac, clogging the jets. Disassemble
and clean and NEVER store it without draining it! Main jet is clogged,
starving it for fuel.......unless you forgot to open the fuel valve.

Larry
--
http://kitco.com/charts/livegold.html
9-11-2001 gold was $270/oz

JR North wrote:

Clogged main jet (I doubt a 2 HP is injected...) You MAY get it cleared
just by running it and throttling up until the crap goes through or
dissolves. Failing that, you can sometimes clear a carb by hand choking
the intake while revving the motor. Remove palm before the engine
stalls. Failing that, you can sometimes clear a jet by finding the main
jet air bleed port in the carb venturi, and spraying some carb clean
down it. Failing that, try filling the float bowl with said carb clean.
This may help clear the clog as the cleaner goes through. Failing that,
o/haul carb.
That should keep you busy a while.
JR

Failing all that, I get my 4-stroke running by gently poking a fine wire
through the jets. The best long term solution is an inline 10 micron filter
in the fuel line.

SD

ULB ULB is offline

On Dec 31 2007, 10:44*am, JR North wrote:
Clogged main jet (I doubt a 2 HP is injected...) You MAY get it cleared
just by running it and throttling up until the crap goes through or
dissolves. Failing that, you can sometimes clear a carb by hand choking
the intake while revving the motor. Remove palm before the engine
stalls. Failing that, you can sometimes clear a jet by finding the main
jet air bleed port in the carb venturi, and spraying some carb clean
down it. Failing that, try filling the float bowl with said carb clean.
This may help clear the clog as the cleaner goes through. Failing that,
o/haul carb.
That should keep you busy a while.
JR

JR,

Thank you very much. Choking the carb while revving cleared it, took
about 6 hard rev's. I can't believe it. That makes my new years day.

BTW I did burn the fuel out before storing. I think this time, in
addition to using stabil (which I did), I will just dump the engine
over and drain the gass from the tank too.

thanks for all the help gents. Happy new year.

ULB ULB is offline

On Dec 31 2007, 11:06*pm, sherwindu wrote:
JR North wrote:
[...]

Where do you get an inline filter for such a small outboard? Thank
you!

"ULB" wrote in message ...
I have a 2HP (thats not a typo), 4 stroke honda engine. Think I got
it in 2005. I tried starting it up last night. Took about 50 pulls.
Fine no biggie, it hasn't been run in a few months. It idles like a
champ, but when I go to rev it bogs down real quick and will die, if I
don't let off the throttle. Pulled the spark plug, its fine.

Could a jet be clogged in the carb? I used a gas stabilizer in the
gas, so it would go bad as fast, so I dont think its my gas. Thanks
for any replies.

This should be about a 15 minute repair.

Remove the bowl from the carb and clean the jet.
I had a 15hp Honda do the same thing. I used a fine wire.
Mine actually has a big screw ON the bowl for removing
the jet but it was just as easy to remove the entire bowl.

Back in business in less than 15 minutes.

db