Default Ping: Floridians

Gfretwell, Wayne B.
I see a lot about polar ices caps breaking off due to global warming.
Since you live on the water, by the sea, I'm wondering if you've
noticed the water level rising.
This will settle the global warming issue. Then, if the water level
is indeed rising, I'll decide whose fault it is. Right now I'm
leaning toward all the hot air coming from "deniers" as the cause,
but it could be Al Gore's fault, so he's still on thin ice.

Thanks,

--Vic

On Dec 20, 3:11 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
Gfretwell, Wayne B.
I see a lot about polar ices caps breaking off due to global warming.
Since you live on the water, by the sea, I'm wondering if you've
noticed the water level rising.
This will settle the global warming issue. Then, if the water level
is indeed rising, I'll decide whose fault it is. Right now I'm
leaning toward all the hot air coming from "deniers" as the cause,
but it could be Al Gore's fault, so he's still on thin ice.

Thanks,

--Vic

What an ignorant troll.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:31:03 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

I want evidence the sea level is rising.

I haven't run aground recently so it must be rising.

wrote:

I want evidence the sea level is rising.

I haven't run aground recently so it must be rising.

That might be the nav gear, or caution that grows with age -
a fine wine type of thing.
When I was in Punta Gorda a while ago, I could eye the canal
waterline and pretty well time the tides. If I lived there, I would
soon ken to the variations caused by moon phases.
It seems I would certainly know if the sea was rising even an inch on
the canal wall over a period of time.
It seems hardly a month goes by without the news showing a Rhode
Island chunk of ice cap breaking off to melt. Glaciers disappearing,
etc. I always thought global warming would cause a rise in sea
levels.
I haven't heard that it's happening, and don't want to be confused by
conflicting political internet cites, so I figured I'd go to the guys
living next to the actual ocean, with nice concrete walls showing
waterlines.

--Vic

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

I want evidence the sea level is rising.

I haven't run aground recently so it must be rising.

See? Global warming is only a bad thing if you're a waterfront property
owner or are in the energy business.....the very reasons bigshot
politicians are so concerned about it.

For the rest of us, it will mean long growing season, plentiful food, lower
energy bills trying to keep warm and deeper water for those deep draft
keels.....a win-win situation to be sure.

The boys on the beach are ****ed about rising water....unlike the boys in
any marina!

Larry
--
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"I have been to several major Chinese cities and have seen first hand shops

How can they be fake? The Chinese make all "American Products" I use!

wrote in :

http://www.courant.com/news/local/sr...,1550076.story

But, alas, is it the sea rising or Guilford sinking in the muck it's built
upon? As coastal areas urbanize, they have a long, long history of SINKING
into the soft sands of the beach. Plate Tectonics is also in play.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...rl=http%3A%2F%
2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%3Fid%3Dg-57j4G02PAC%26pg%3DPA77%26lpg%3DPA77%
26dq%3Dstate%2Bgeological%2Band%2Bnatural%2Bhistor y%2Bsurvey%2Bof%
2Bconnecticut%2Bquadrangle%2Breport%2Bno%2B28%26so urce%3Dweb%26ots%
3Dhtidy7-6XZ%26sig%
3DxAKhrmH5rOCzUFEwk0VUtd3PVHQ&ei=iQJrR6K_OqbsgwTp3 LXUDw&usg=AFQjCNFg___Z-
FXHMgIERUT_pNv1Bmf2Iw&sig2=VvOadElY894fVn9N1-WlBg

or the tinyurl of this mess:
http://tinyurl.com/2j6mp3

There are a LOT of riffs in the geology of this whole region....it's FAR
from static...

Larry
--
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"I have been to several major Chinese cities and have seen first hand shops
crammed with obviously fake American products." - Jon Dudas, Undersecretary
of Commerce for Intellectual Property Rights.

How can they be fake? The Chinese make all "American Products" I use!

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:38:37 GMT, wrote:

Found it:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/sr...,1550076.story

Interesting article. Thanks. Hadn't thought about the effect of
thermal expansion. Wonder why you don't hear this type of story
from Florida, which would seem more susceptible to flooding, and has
much more shoreline. I suppose it could be tides and coastline
topography. I take back saying I might be able to see it happening
on seawall watermarks. I don't have *that* much patience.

--Vic

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:22:28 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Wonder why you don't hear this type of story
from Florida, which would seem more susceptible to flooding, and has
much more shoreline.

You don't hear about it because it is not happening to any significant
extent. Guilford is no doubt a special case of subsiding land. There
are other areas where this is happening and it has nothing to do with
global warming/cooling. There are parts of coastal Louisiana
subsiding because of oil field depletion.

Calling all Floridians and those in Southern waters Vic Smith General 2 March 4th 07 04:15 AM
Ping: RG Eisboch General 17 September 27th 06 02:10 AM
Those wacky Floridians Don White General 2 August 27th 04 08:48 PM
Help for Floridians Harry Krause General 9 August 16th 04 04:01 AM