Default Rumble Seat

I enjoyed a chance to test out the new 2008 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer this
week.

Sea Ray has the express boat category dialed in very nicely, and
there's a lot to like about the concept and quality of the 330.

One new feature that is very unusual is a "rumble seat".
Folded to stow in the outboard side of the transom is a bench seat.
When deployed, it faces aft with the seat cushion positioned above the
swim platform. Great idea for socializing when moored stern-to at a
dock, etc, but if I were building that feature into a boat I would
want to include a "kill switch" that would prevent the engines from
starting unless the seat is folded and stowed away. Otherwise, "here
comes a big wake on the beam.......there go the kids off the
transom...."

(Maybe Sea Ray *has* included a lockout).

95% of boat owners would know better than to be underway with anybody
sitting back there, but as usual it's the other 5% who will behave
imprudently and screw things up for all.

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Uh...45% would know. Maybe

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:52:45 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

One new feature that is very unusual is a "rumble seat".
Folded to stow in the outboard side of the transom is a bench seat.
When deployed, it faces aft with the seat cushion positioned above the
swim platform. Great idea for socializing when moored stern-to at a
dock, etc, but if I were building that feature into a boat I would
want to include a "kill switch" that would prevent the engines from
starting unless the seat is folded and stowed away. Otherwise, "here
comes a big wake on the beam.......there go the kids off the
transom...."

(Maybe Sea Ray *has* included a lockout).

95% of boat owners would know better than to be underway with anybody
sitting back there, but as usual it's the other 5% who will behave
imprudently and screw things up for all.

I'm betting there's a lockout. Whatever you may think of SeaRay's
construction, their basic designs are pretty well thought out for both
safety and function. I never thought I'd own one but we've been very
happy with out 270 Sundeck runabout.

One new feature that is very unusual is a "rumble seat".

Given how NASTY it gets in most transom lockers, I can only imagine how
those seats are going to look after a season or two. I think the rumble
seat is a phenomenally stupid idea.

95% of boat owners would know better than to be underway with anybody
sitting back there, but as usual it's the other 5% who will behave
imprudently and screw things up for all.

You naively assume too much intelligence on the part of your fellow man.
Given the whole 'transom surfing' nonsense of a few years ago and kite rafts
last year I'm not seeing much improvement. Darwin isn't winnowing the
stupid THAT fast. I'm sure we'll have a crop of rumble seat fatalities in
short order. And instead of burying the stupid and moving on we'll
undoubtedly see a rash of politicos screaming about "safety of the children,
THE CHILDREN!" and attempt to encumber us with even more stupid "safety"
legislation.

Here's hoping someone at SeaRay legal wises up fast when that first lawsuit
arrives...

B & M Pontoon seat ct General 0 July 6th 04 02:18 AM
Seat Cushion Help Please Kellielabs General 1 May 4th 04 11:35 PM
swivel seat Gone Angling Boat Building 2 November 9th 03 02:29 AM
Seat Boxes bruce Boat Building 2 July 2nd 03 02:51 PM
Relase-A-Seat II No Spam General 0 July 1st 03 04:33 PM