Jim Jim is offline

Default A Seasonal Gift Idea for that special person.

But she's worth it. I-s-n'-t she?

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
On Dec 11, 7:01�am, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:00:50 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:37:35 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

http://www.loveandpride.com/Home/Zoo...id=3678&cid=81

Wow! And...10% goes to Lambda Legal. Such a deal!

Did you buy anything for a that special person?

No. My special person prefers Tiffany's, as she told me the other day when
we passed the local one.
--
John H

We shopped at Tiffany's last year. My wife enjoys necklaces and
bracelets, and once or twice a year she considers it a treat to
acquire some upper-end costume piece selling for several hundred
dollars to maybe something just into four figures. She obviously has
humble tastes, or she would never have married me.....

We were out to buy a bauble for some occassion or another, and I saw a
very attractive necklace in the window at Tiffany's.

"That's quite nice, and it would look really good on you," said I.

"Are you nuts?" she replied. "That's going to cost more than either of
us would be comfortable spending. Yes, it's pretty but we need to be
find something closer to our nornal price range."

"There's no price tag, so it wouldn't hurt to ask," I replied.

We went into Tiffany's, and I spoke to one of the salespeople. Maybe I
should have been clued in when I noticed she was wearing probably a
$2000, custom tailored suit.

"I noticed that necklace in the window, and I wanted to inquire about
the price."

I'm pretty sure the salesperson was clued in when she noticed my
frumpy pea coat, thoroughly "experienced" (but clean) trousers, and
comfortable boat shoes. Even so, she was professional.

"Certainly, sir. Allow me to retrieve it from the display case so you
can examine it in greater detail."

Then followed the normal jewelry store drama, with the black velvet
cloth draped across the display case at a point where the lighting was
"just perfect" and the exceptionally detailed explanation regarding
the workmanship, the quality of the gold, the strength of the clasp,
etc, etc, etc, When the two minute schpiel was finished, I still
thought the necklace was extremely pretty.

"So, how much is it?"

The salesperson squinted at some heiroglyphics on a small paper tag.
"This piece is attractively valued at seventeen, sir."

I was thrilled. Turning to my wife, I said "Gee dear, that's about
twice what we normally spend, but I'd like to see you have it and for
something as special as this I think we could splurge."

I had noticed a fancy banner that read, "Holiday Savings", so I asked
the salesperson, "Is seventeen hundred the regular price, or does that
include the holiday savings?"

The salesperson forced a patient, if slightly condescending smile.
"Thousand, sir. That's seventeen *thousand* dollars, not seventeen
hundred."

Several of the normal Tiffany customers seemed to be staring at me
with rather obvious disapproval. Time to be cool......

"Oh, yes. Ahem. Well of course, what was I thinking? Thanks very much
for showing us the necklace, it's extremely beautiful and as you say
it's attractively priced, but an expenditure for something less would
be more convenient at this point in time."

I think everybody knew that by "something less" I meant $15-16,000
less. I wondered if I should have been bowing from the waist as I
backed up toward the front door.

My wife was right, as usual. If I had four times the money I have now,
(in other words, about sixty bucks), I'm not sure my bauble budget
would ever rise to the $17k range. Good thing my wife has humble
tastes.

**************

Now of course, if we were talking about something for the boat, $17k
could be a very reasonable price. :-)

wrote:
http://www.loveandpride.com/Home/Zoo...id=3678&cid=81
Wow! And...10% goes to Lambda Legal. Such a deal!
Did you buy anything for a that special person?
No. My special person prefers Tiffany's, as she told me the other day when
we passed the local one.
--
John H

We shopped at Tiffany's last year. My wife enjoys necklaces and
bracelets, and once or twice a year she considers it a treat to
acquire some upper-end costume piece selling for several hundred
dollars to maybe something just into four figures. She obviously has
humble tastes, or she would never have married me.....

""Are you nuts?" she replied. "That's going to cost more than either of
us would be comfortable spending. Yes, it's pretty but we need to be
find something closer to our nornal price range."

No offense, Chuckster, but you ought to stay away from "dialogue." I'll
bet dollars to donuts your wife doesn't speak so stiffly.- Hide quoted text -

You'd lose. Send me a dollar, I'll use to buy a cheap donut and spring
for my own coffee. While chowing down at Krispy Kreme, I'll
contemplate the nature of donuts in general. Donuts tend to be all
puffed up around the edges and are perhaps even slathered with
colorful frosting, but upon careful inspection, one typically
discovers there's no substance whatsoever in the middle. Somewhat like
a lot of criticisms. :-)
HK HK is offline

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:54:51 -0500, HK wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Hey Harry - why not find something decent to say? Is it so hard?

Please. Chuck is a perfectly decent writer, but from what I have seen
here, his weak area is dialogue. Dialogue and quotes happen to be two
of my strongest areas.

I'm sure Chuck's wife said something similar to how he quoted her. He
just didn't capture her.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
[...]

I think donuts go for about $1.50 each, so I think that was a
complement.

The word you want is "compliment," not "complement."
HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Are you saying Mrs. Chuck speaks the way you quoted her?
Hard to believe.

On Dec 11, 11:25Â*am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hard to believe.- Hide quoted text -

She probably peppered it with some er's, um's, and etc. :-)
She reads a lot, and commands a good vocabulary. I don't consider her
speech unusually "stiff", but then again we have been married for
almost ever and she seems perfectly natural to me.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Dec 11, 11:25 am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'm not talking about "er's" and "um's." I just believe she is more
conversational than your quotes indicate. Betcha I am right.

wrote in message
On Dec 11, 9:32 am, wrote:
On Dec 11, 9:19 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"

wrote:
http://www.loveandpride.com/Home/Zoo...id=3678&cid=81
Wow! And...10% goes to Lambda Legal. Such a deal!
Did you buy anything for a that special person?

Yeah, but not a dog tag... we are out of our teens now.

That is not a dog tag, it is a necklace.

I just love the two queen chess pieces in a 69 position.

I have a few rules for Christmas. I would not buy my wifee jewelery,
just like I would not buy here a vacume cleaner. Both should be done
at more random times during the year, they are just too easy. Second,
I never get anyone anything they ask for, I consider it a great
challenge to find something they always wanted, but never thought of
getting for Christmas, or did not know they wanted till they got it
Third, gifts must in some way be a toy for the person receiving it,
entertainment as it were. No clothes, no tools, nothing practical at
all allowed, just toys, that's it... Note, I have a broad vision of
toys, an old person might be entertained by a clock or a nice
painting, or in the case of my bud a radio controled ambulance to
screw with his cat...- Hide quoted text -

I've got an indoor remote control helicopter that is fun as hell. I
can get the cat to chase the helicopter, the dog to screw with the cat
because it's running around after the helicopter, and the bird to
squawk like hell at all of it!

Would the rotor blades hurt the cats eyes if struck?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:32:29 -0800 (PST),

I'd like to find something more my speed, like an RC D-9 by Caterpillar.
--
John H- Hide quoted text -

With an RC D-9 you could move furniture.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:27:08 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

John H. wrote:

wrote:
[...]

HARRY!

I apologize. I thought your compliment was a 'jibe', so to speak. How
ignorant I've become since my surgery.

I thought it was just old age, but I guess if you can use surgery for an
excuse that is better.

By the way, did you know the mind is the 2nd thing to go?

I just hope my mind goes before I run out of Metamusil. At least then I
won't know that a problem exists!

Okay, I'll bite, what's the first thing to go?

(Note that two weeks ago, when you first presented this line, no one was
nice enough to bite.)
--
John H