Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default 1989 Johnson 88SPL Does not pee at high RPM

It all started when it first overheated. I believe that something
clogged the intake while leaving a grass flat. The engine overheated
to the point it shut down. This motor only had 12 hours on the
rebuild and the paint was burnt on parts of the motor. I restarted
quickly and let it idle to cool itself. Every since that event, the
motor stops peeing at high speeds or high RPM. I changed the
impeller...seemed like there was a little difference...I could run at
regular running speed but if I trimmed the motor at all it would stop
peeing. I noticed the spark plugs were rusted then found that there
a tad bit of water leaking between the head and the head cover. I
replaced the head cover gaskets and no more leaks. Took the boat out
again and everythign was running great for about an hour....then it
overheated and started all over again. No peeing at high RMP or
speed. Took out thermostats....no difference. Checked hoses....no
clogs. I am getting clos eto my 20 hour check up. Could the head need
retourqueing? Spark plugs look great...no sign of water in cylinder.
ANy help woudl greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Doug

SCREAMING JOHNSON 88spl 1990 sonofadocker General 1 August 20th 07 04:49 AM
1989 Johnson 88spl [email protected] General 1 August 20th 07 02:42 AM
1989 Johnson 88spl [email protected] General 2 March 22nd 07 05:47 PM
help 1989 Johnson 225 LB General 3 April 23rd 04 12:43 PM
1989 Johnson 175 VRO David Little General 1 September 11th 03 04:54 AM