BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yet Another Tragic Case...... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/88530-yet-another-tragic-case.html)

HK December 1st 07 03:13 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:42:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:32:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:51:03 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

I *do* have a problem with mandatory helmet laws. All the
arguements about
beoming a burden to society due to medical costs and increased
insurance
premiums for all just don't hold up under close scrutiny.
Not to take this in a different direction, but I'm of the opinion
that
if I am required to wear a seatbelt under the dubious rational
that it
will "save" my life and reduce medical costs, then helmets should
also
be required along with full leathers and body armor for motorcycle
riders.

The stated rational for seatbelts is BS for a number of reasons, but
the most important is that seatbelt use is over stated and over
reported in vehicle accidents resulting in skewed "safety"
statistics.
Let's consider the opposite: In the subset consisting of people
ejected
from their vehicles during an accident, what percentage survive?

If I were a betting man, I would say, proportionally, about the same
as a motorcycle rider's.

However, the more important question is how many major accidents
result in ejection? Probably about the same number as high speed
motorcycle accidents.

FAR more people suffer tramatic brain injury or death from head
injuries in cars
than on motorcycles. If you aren't wearing a helmet when in a car,
you are
simply asking for it!

I always urge all rightwingers everywhere to ride their motorcycles in
as macho a fashion as possible and without helmets or other protective
gear, and, whenever possible, to make sure at least one of their
fertile family members is on the back seat. Oh. And make sure a
handgun is in the saddlebag.

Is that directed towards SWF? I think he would be considered a
rightwinger? He is definitely right of my political views. While I
disagree with many individual's politics and/or religious viewpoints, I
know I would wish ill will on them. I am glad you are not reflective
of most people I have meet.

Nice try, a**hole.

No, it is not directed at SW, Eisboch, or any of the other responsible
righties here.

But nice try.

Oh. Whatever your politics, it is directed at you.

Reginald P. Smithers III December 1st 07 03:15 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:

[...]

What makes someone a responsible righties?

BAR December 1st 07 03:19 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

HK wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

Is that directed towards SWF? I think he would be considered a
rightwinger? He is definitely right of my political views. While I
disagree with many individual's politics and/or religious viewpoints,
I know I would wish ill will on them. I am glad you are not
reflective of most people I have meet.

Nice try, a**hole.

No, it is not directed at SW, Eisboch, or any of the other responsible
righties here.

What is your definition of a "responsible rightie?"

Why are you afraid of calling out SWS and Eisboch when they express the
same views as others that you choose to attack because of their same views?

JoeSpareBedroom December 1st 07 03:26 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Larry" wrote in message
Chuck Gould wrote in news:0b23b105-
:

Then there's the old "it's my life, I'll risk it" BS.

Unfortunately,
society doesn't work that way.

It does or we'd bust anyone's ass that was caught with beer or
wine or other booze not sealed away in the trunk.....just like we
do to CARS.

We'd **** on the boat dealers' feet by making them all take a
competency boat DRIVERS LICENSE test BEFORE we allowed them to
drive off in a 55 ton Hatteras with 1500 HP diesels. Just having
money isn't a competency test, but that's all we got now.

At least SOME of the drivers on the road don't do the really
stupid things boaters do, like driving drunk on booze, for fear
of losing that LICENSE TO DRIVE. I know lots of boaters who
drink and wouldn't do so if they lost that Boat Driver's License,
or stood a chance of losing it...

Of course, if we really cared, we'd say:
NO PFD....NO BOATING
But, a thousand yachties will come to that aid.

Larry

Larry, about 54% of the population is permanently stupid, and that will
never change. People in that category will never be able to tell the
difference between a day when they can keep the PFD nearby, and a day when
things are weird and they should be wearing one.

On a calm day in July, when it's 90 degrees, I doubt you wear a PFD.

HK December 1st 07 03:36 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:

[...]

You'll find the answer you seek by bending over, putting your head
between your knees and looking up.

Reginald P. Smithers III December 1st 07 03:48 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

wrote:

[...]

Harry,
I just want to join the club of responsible righties, and was wondering
what the membership requirements are.

Larry December 1st 07 04:29 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

On a calm day in July, when it's 90 degrees, I doubt you wear a

PFD.

We wrote a law for jetskiiers. ON a warm day in July when it's
90, the jetskiiers better have their PFDs on. We can easily
extend this law to include drunken sailors and bassboat
alcoholics.

It would be a fine tool to get the stupids off the waterways, to
the benefit of the rest of us. So wouldn't boater licensing.

Larry
--
Isn't it ironic that the same ISPs that are telling you
you're downloads threaten their networks......

JoeSpareBedroom December 1st 07 04:30 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Larry" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

On a calm day in July, when it's 90 degrees, I doubt you wear a

PFD.

We wrote a law for jetskiiers. ON a warm day in July when it's
90, the jetskiiers better have their PFDs on. We can easily
extend this law to include drunken sailors and bassboat
alcoholics.

It would be a fine tool to get the stupids off the waterways, to
the benefit of the rest of us. So wouldn't boater licensing.

Larry

Wouldn't letting them drown be more effective? :-)