BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yet Another Tragic Case...... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/88530-yet-another-tragic-case.html)

HK December 2nd 07 04:46 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every state, by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health insurance
premiums be reduced by?

I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.

There is NO logic behind "No Helmet" laws.

Eisboch December 2nd 07 05:44 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

There is NO logic behind "No Helmet" laws.

No. There aren't any "No Helmet" laws that I know of.
There *are* many states .... about half .... that have some form of "Helmet
Law", although they are slowly being repealed, state by state.

I don't know this for a fact, so it's pure speculation on my part, but I
suspect that the majority of people that support helmet laws .... don't
ride motorcycles.

Eisboch

D.Duck December 2nd 07 05:47 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every state,
by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health insurance
premiums be reduced by?

I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.

I really don't care one way or another. I have no idea what the data shows.

Why are there such laws in place if it doesn't help?

Not trying to argue, just get some points of view.

HK December 2nd 07 05:49 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

There is NO logic behind "No Helmet" laws.

No. There aren't any "No Helmet" laws that I know of.
There *are* many states .... about half .... that have some form of "Helmet
Law", although they are slowly being repealed, state by state.

I don't know this for a fact, so it's pure speculation on my part, but I
suspect that the majority of people that support helmet laws .... don't
ride motorcycles.

Eisboch

It should be mandatory. Period.

JoeSpareBedroom December 2nd 07 05:49 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

There is NO logic behind "No Helmet" laws.

No. There aren't any "No Helmet" laws that I know of.
There *are* many states .... about half .... that have some form of
"Helmet Law", although they are slowly being repealed, state by state.

I don't know this for a fact, so it's pure speculation on my part, but I
suspect that the majority of people that support helmet laws .... don't
ride motorcycles.

Eisboch

Maybe this will help:

http://usff.com/hldl/frames/50state.html

Or not.

JoeSpareBedroom December 2nd 07 05:54 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"D.Duck" wrote in message

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every state,
by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health insurance
premiums be reduced by?

I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.

I really don't care one way or another. I have no idea what the data
shows.

Why are there such laws in place if it doesn't help?

Not trying to argue, just get some points of view.

It does help. Someone is just being a turkey, in order to keep the
discussion going like a slowly dripping faucet.

HK December 2nd 07 05:58 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

It's RonPaulism, as it were.

Eisboch December 2nd 07 06:02 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

No. There aren't any "No Helmet" laws that I know of.
There *are* many states .... about half .... that have some form of
"Helmet Law", although they are slowly being repealed, state by state.

I don't know this for a fact, so it's pure speculation on my part, but I
suspect that the majority of people that support helmet laws .... don't
ride motorcycles.

Eisboch

Maybe this will help:

http://usff.com/hldl/frames/50state.html

Or not.

Did you notice that only 20 states had a full, mandatory helmet law? That
leaves 30 that have modified and loosened their laws since the Fed tried to
strong arm all states to enact a helmet law or lose highway funding. At one
point almost all states had a full helmet law due to pressure from the Fed.

I am not against wearing a helmet .... in fact I do on a regular basis. My
state has a full law and I obey it. I also often wear a helmet even in
states that don't require one. It all depends on where we are riding,
when, and what the weather and traffic conditions are. When I deem it safe,
(whether anybody else agrees or not) I sometimes take a ride without one.

I think Florida's revised law is reasonable and fair. If you are over 18
or 21 (forget which) and can prove that you have a personal health insurance
policy that will cover you in the event of an accident, no helmet is
required by law. It's your choice.

Again, I am willing to bet that the loudest advocates of helmet laws don't
own a motorcycle.

Eisboch

JoeSpareBedroom December 2nd 07 06:10 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Just be careful. The last thing we need right now is yet another
presidential candidate.

[email protected] December 2nd 07 06:24 PM

Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 2, 9:21 am, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 2, 8:54 am, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:07:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
om...
There is, in fact, a national motorcycle helmet law in
effect already. It only applies to people with something worth
protecting.
Please provide a cite.
A while back the Fed refused money for road system maintenance if the
state did not have a helmet law .... similar to the 55 mph speed limit of
the 70's. But that is changing.
Every year more states are changing the law or modifying it based on real
data.
Florida is a good example and reflects some common sense. There *is* a
helmet law, but you are not required to wear one if over 21 years of age
and can prove that you have at least some minimum amount of personal
health insurance.
There are more states that riding without a helmet is legal today than
there were 20 years ago.
Eisboch
More regression.
Why? If some moron wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, who cares?
If you're stupid enough to think you're immune to head injuries, the gene
pool is better off without you. Give this 200 years and the 54% might shrink
a bit.
I care if his death or injury results in higher taxes or insurance
premiums.

Helmet laws exist for the same reason any other law protecting the mentally
disable exists.
--
John H- Hide quoted text -

Well, I may be simple, but not disabled I don't think. I rarely wore a
brain bucket..... of course back then, it would have been considered
"waste basket" ;)

See, we do agree. :}

My opinion is that one has to be *really stupid* to ride a motorcycle
without wearing a real safety helmet.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder what the figures say, more deaths of riders with no helmet,
or swamping deaths with low transom boats that have no business in
open water??