Default Happy World Toilet Day...

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:27:48 -0500, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Let us all give thanks to Thomas Crapper for this wonderful invention.

Which is also used on boats, so it's appropriate.

http://www.cwwa.ca/internationalwaterdays_e.asp

If I had a youngster today, I'd advise them to enter a union
apprenticeship program for either plumbing or electrical. No matter
where these society goes, it is going to want indoor plumbing and
electricity.

Funny you should mention that.

The local Building Trades Council had bid on the new Killingly High
School - a $64 million dollar state-of-the-art building.

While the town Building Committee was willing to negotiate a contract
for the iron workers, carpenters and painters, they did not want to
hire union plumbers, electricians or masons.

You might want to ask why. The answer is pretty simple. When the
building upgrade for the Intermediate school was completed, the
plumbing and electrical failed code and one wall was out of plumb -
not the architect's fault either - shoddy workmanship and it was late
opening - by six months.

Compared to the Plainfield High school - another state-of-the-art
building which was built with non-Union labor. Came in under budget,
on time and in move in condition. Won some kind of international
award to boot. Passed state and local inspections in record time.

The interesting thing was the Plainfield High school was bigger, more
complex and cost 1/3 less than the high school they are planning in
Killingly.

Go figure.

Not looking to pick a fight - just stating facts.

Only the facts.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:34:15 -0500, Reginald Smithers III
wrote:

HK wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Let us all give thanks to Thomas Crapper for this wonderful invention.

Which is also used on boats, so it's appropriate.

http://www.cwwa.ca/internationalwaterdays_e.asp

If I had a youngster today, I'd advise them to enter a union
apprenticeship program for either plumbing or electrical. No matter
where these society goes, it is going to want indoor plumbing and
electricity.

There's a chance the nuke plant near us might be expanded. If so, it
will mean several years of very high paying work for union plumbers and
electricians, among others. We're talking about $100,000+ a year,
family-supporting jobs for hardworking men and women who have the skills
to do the necessary critical work.

I had a plumber quote me $465 to change the trap under my mothers sink.
I think he is making more than they make at the nuke plant. Of
course, I didn't hire him, I did it myself.

It's nice knowing good plumbers. One of my kids buddies is a plumber.
Had to replace a faulty disposal and some leaking pipes under the
sink. He came over, wham, bam, thank you sir - hour later, done and
it only cost me $75 for his time.

He also chased a drain problem for me from the house to the main on
the street - $125 bucks for an hours work with a drain weasel.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:41:41 -0500, HK wrote:

It takes a lot more education, training, and skill to become a
steamfitter than it does to become a college graduate.

Harry - give it up - please, you are making an ass of yourself.

wrote:

HK wrote:
[...]

The local union plumbers wanted several thousand to replace the 'broken'
water main in front of my house. They diagnosed this because the sump pump
had stopped working due, in their words, to 'too much work'.

I called the county, after wondering why the break couldn't just as well be
in the street. They came out and informed me there was no break anywhere.
The guy said it was one of the oldest and most used plumber scams going. I
replaced the sump pump and saved several thousand dollars.

wrote:

HK wrote:
[...]

What did they do, Herring, show you their paid up membership card at the
door?

What crock of crap.

Do you think the Rush plumbing guys are non-union?

HK wrote:

If I had a youngster today, I'd advise them to enter a union
apprenticeship program for either plumbing or electrical. No matter
where these society goes, it is going to want indoor plumbing and
electricity.

If I had it to do all over again I'd have 4 kids.

One would be a doctor.
One would be a dentist.
One would be an electrician.
One would be a plumber.

Eisboch

"John H." wrote in message

The local union plumbers wanted several thousand to replace the 'broken'
water main in front of my house. They diagnosed this because the sump pump
* had stopped working due, in their words, to 'too much work*'.

Oh my...I guess the c*ap flies heavy at your place...

news
[...]

What the $%$%! Our new high school in the center of the city cost between
$20-30 million and everybody's crying about that.
This new school replaces two older schools from the days when the catholics
had their own and everyone else, the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_High_School

news

Funny you should mention that.

You might want to ask why. The answer is pretty simple. When the
building upgrade for the Intermediate school was completed, the
plumbing and electrical failed code and one wall was out of plumb -
not the architect's fault either - shoddy workmanship and it was late
opening - by six months.

I lost all respect for the advertised "superior" workmanship quality and
work ethic of unionized big corporations when I was in business.

It's nonsense, plain and simple.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

HK wrote:

If I had a youngster today, I'd advise them to enter a union
apprenticeship program for either plumbing or electrical. No matter
where these society goes, it is going to want indoor plumbing and
electricity.

If I had it to do all over again I'd have 4 kids.

One would be a doctor.
One would be a dentist.
One would be an electrician.
One would be a plumber.

Eisboch

How about a fifth? A mortician to plant at the end of your visit here.

You seem to have everything else covered.

Snaking a toilet Gilligan ASA 1 December 14th 06 05:59 PM
toilet [email protected] General 3 June 15th 06 09:14 AM
Toilet on a budget Stephen Trapani Cruising 9 May 18th 04 02:04 AM
Toilet Question Steve General 1 December 1st 03 07:11 PM
New Toilet Peggie Hall General 5 August 27th 03 12:24 AM