Steve

Default Toilet Question

I recently bought a boat with the following head setup: Groco toilet with
Jabsco electric conversion model 29200-0120. I have to take it apart to
replace a leaky base gasket, but was wondering if putting a manual pump back
on would give more reliable service. Other than the leak, the electric unit
seems to work fine. Does anyone have observations/experience as to the
quality and effectiveness of this particular piece of equipment?

Also, as the unit contains a macerator, which I assume manual pumps do not,
I was wondering if this would have any benefit with regard to reducing the
likelihood of the holding tank pump-out tube becoming blocked with solids
when trying to pump the tank.

Thanks,
Steve H.

Peggie Hall

Steve wrote:
I recently bought a boat with the following head setup: Groco toilet with
Jabsco electric conversion model 29200-0120. I have to take it apart to
replace a leaky base gasket, but was wondering if putting a manual pump back
on would give more reliable service. Other than the leak, the electric unit
seems to work fine. Does anyone have observations/experience as to the
quality and effectiveness of this particular piece of equipment?

The only thing left of the previous Groco toilet is the bowl...it's been
converted to the Jabsco. It's not the best electric toilet for the
money...for one thing, it draws a whopping 26 amps a flush, compared to
16 used by most other raw water macerating electric toilets...for
another it costs the same or more as much higher quality conversions,
but has half or less the average lifespan. But you have it, and it's
working now. So if all it needs is a gasket, I'd keep it till it needs
more serious repair. However, as long as you have to take it apart to
the replace the gasket, I wouldn't just stop there, I'd put a complete
rebuild kit in it.

Also, as the unit contains a macerator, which I assume manual pumps do not,

No...they don't.

I was wondering if this would have any benefit with regard to reducing the
likelihood of the holding tank pump-out tube becoming blocked with solids
when trying to pump the tank.

Large quantities of macerated solids and TP are less likely to clog the
toilet discharge hose..otoh, they can clog a macerator. However, I've
never heard of solids ever preventing a tank from being pumped out. A
wad of the wrong toilet paper can (and will also clog up a
macerator)...a tampon, condom, paper towel or anything else that
shouldn't have been flushed down ANY marine toilet can...an accumulation
of sludge can...but solids waste is 75% water to begin with...and it's
broken up and "mooshed" as it goes through the head TO the tank..so
solids are about 90% dissolved by the time they get into the tank. They
don't give any pumpout capable of emptying a tank at all any problem
whatever in pumping out the tank, whether the waste in the tank has been
macerated or not.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"