Default Ping: The Donald (D.Duck)

Since you asked (and for anyone else interested) ....

I am on the boat and just finished setting up the DirecTV. Works fine!

The dish is presently just sitting on the upper station deck. It took me
about 3 minutes to find and optimize the signal strength. I am actually
getting a stronger signal here than I did on my house dish. Several of the
transponders are at 100 percent, the rest between 85 and 95 percent.

There's a light breeze and the boat is moving around a little bit. The bow
swings around by about 2 or 2-1/2 feet Maybe even more. The stern moves
back and forth by a little over a foot.

Been over an hour now and there have been zero freezes or signal drop-out.

Not bad. The whole setup was under 200 bucks. (not counting the DirecTV
monthly service charge).

Eisboch

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:46:32 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Since you asked (and for anyone else interested) ....

I am on the boat and just finished setting up the DirecTV. Works fine!

The dish is presently just sitting on the upper station deck. It took me
about 3 minutes to find and optimize the signal strength. I am actually
getting a stronger signal here than I did on my house dish. Several of the
transponders are at 100 percent, the rest between 85 and 95 percent.

There's a light breeze and the boat is moving around a little bit. The bow
swings around by about 2 or 2-1/2 feet Maybe even more. The stern moves
back and forth by a little over a foot.

Been over an hour now and there have been zero freezes or signal drop-out.

Not bad. The whole setup was under 200 bucks. (not counting the DirecTV
monthly service charge).

Out of curiosity, what is the monthly charge for DirecTV?
Tim Tim is offline

Tom, it's a'la carte. My dad pays about $39.00 per month for his
package, and it varies with programmming. I know my wife pays out the
nose for DishNetwork. . about $100.00 a month, When I found that out,
I wanted to die.... thats a lot of money for about 7 homeshopping
entworks and a bunch of radio channels we don't listen to . Yeah,
radio channes duped as "stations"....

wrote:

[...]

It starts at 29 bucks, I think. I opted for a 54 dollar package because it
includes the stations I am most interested in (History Channel, MSNBC,
Discovery, The Weather Channel and whatever one carries the old sitcom
reruns like "Everyone Loves Raymond".

Once in a while I'll watch a movie channel or something if it's interesting.

Eisboch

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:20:22 -0400, "Eisboch"

.. .

Out of curiosity, what is the monthly charge for DirecTV?

It starts at 29 bucks, I think. I opted for a 54 dollar package because it
includes the stations I am most interested in (History Channel, MSNBC,
Discovery, The Weather Channel and whatever one carries the old sitcom
reruns like "Everyone Loves Raymond".

Once in a while I'll watch a movie channel or something if it's interesting.

Thanks. That's about what we pay for Charter Cable.

Default The Donald (D.Duck)

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, that sounds great. I thought there would be more of a problem with
signal acquisition even on a moored craft.

Glad to hear it's working well for you. Now you will be able to watch
Hannity and Combs on lonely nights when you're alone. :-)

"D.Duck" wrote in message

Glad to hear it's working well for you. Now you will be able to watch
Hannity and Combs on lonely nights when you're alone. :-)

A little updated info:

I've now pretty much gone through a complete tide cycle. At dead low, I had
two very short blank screens when the boat moved more than usual. They only
lasted for about 5 seconds and then the signal came back. I think the
receiver automatically searches for a stronger transponder when that
happens.

I can live with that. Looks like there is no need to mount the dish on the
piling.

Eisboch

BE - Duck PM\(ZTB\) Tall Ship Photos 2 October 3rd 07 06:00 PM
Duck and cover! Joe ASA 7 January 13th 07 04:38 AM
OT Duck, duck....goosed! JimH General 1 January 30th 06 03:21 PM
If it walks like a liberal duck and spends like a liberal duck Vito ASA 10 December 7th 04 05:58 PM