Default SeaRay

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:03:10 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:03:37 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

But don't you think that a 30+ foot boat with twin 7.4L Mercruisers, capable
of over 30 kts. ought to be?

Hard to say. There are lots of boats being sold with good speed
potential that are not really designed for heavy conditions. Going 30
kts through 3+ footers is tough going for anything but a sportfish or
offshore racing hull. Same boat in 1 footers, which is probably
closer to how most people use them, is a different story. Once a boat
goes airborn off a wave it's going to thump things around when it
lands.

Getting some air at speed is fun.

Just ask freakinminute. :)

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 02:00:51 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Getting some air at speed is fun.

In the right boat.

There have been several fatal incidents this year of boats
disintegrating on a hard landing. One was just south of us in Marco
Island, only one survivor out of 5 POB. Just heard about another one
recently, believe it was on Long Island Sound but I'm not sure. The
one in Marco was a high performance speed boat of decent size that in
theory should have been able to take the punishment. It was not a
well known brand however like a Baja or Fountain.

Just ask freakinminute. :)

I think he already reported on that flight.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:03:37 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

But don't you think that a 30+ foot boat with twin 7.4L Mercruisers,
capable
of over 30 kts. ought to be?

Hard to say. There are lots of boats being sold with good speed
potential that are not really designed for heavy conditions. Going 30
kts through 3+ footers is tough going for anything but a sportfish or
offshore racing hull. Same boat in 1 footers, which is probably
closer to how most people use them, is a different story. Once a boat
goes airborn off a wave it's going to thump things around when it
lands.

The thump I understand.
It was the after-thump shimmer and flexing that concerned me.

Eisboch

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 03:33:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Hard to say. There are lots of boats being sold with good speed
potential that are not really designed for heavy conditions. Going 30
kts through 3+ footers is tough going for anything but a sportfish or
offshore racing hull. Same boat in 1 footers, which is probably
closer to how most people use them, is a different story. Once a boat
goes airborn off a wave it's going to thump things around when it
lands.

The thump I understand.
It was the after-thump shimmer and flexing that concerned me.

I think it has done the "thump" thing a few too many times and is
starting to loosen up internally. Not a good thing obviously, and not
a recommendation for older SeaRays that have been run hard. SeaRay and
a lot of other manufacturers use glass over foam composite
construction. Once the bonds between glass and foam start to break
down, the boat loses structural integrity very quickly. This has also
been happening a lot with cored sailboat hulls as they begin to age. A
friend of mine in Connecticut has a 39 footer from a well known
builder. The boat is literally falling apart internally from multiple
core failures.

One of my neighbors in SWFL had an older SeaRay 29 that was still a
decent boat in most respects. The anchor pulpit always had a funny
little shake to it though that made me wonder about the rest of it.
Down our way most people use their SeaRays to take family and friends
out for a quick spin on relatively calm days. You rarely see them out
in the Gulf when the seas are kicking up except for the larger ones
over 40 ft.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 03:33:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

The thump I understand.
It was the after-thump shimmer and flexing that concerned me.

I think it has done the "thump" thing a few too many times and is
starting to loosen up internally. Not a good thing obviously, and not
a recommendation for older SeaRays that have been run hard. SeaRay and
a lot of other manufacturers use glass over foam composite
construction. Once the bonds between glass and foam start to break
down, the boat loses structural integrity very quickly.

Ahhh... that makes sense and certainly fits the sensation I observed.
The skin has become detached from the muscle.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 03:33:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

The thump I understand.
It was the after-thump shimmer and flexing that concerned me.

I think it has done the "thump" thing a few too many times and is
starting to loosen up internally. Not a good thing obviously, and not
a recommendation for older SeaRays that have been run hard. SeaRay and
a lot of other manufacturers use glass over foam composite
construction. Once the bonds between glass and foam start to break
down, the boat loses structural integrity very quickly.

Ahhh... that makes sense and certainly fits the sensation I observed.
The skin has become detached from the muscle.

Eisboch

This is also a problem on some boats with fiberglass over foam stringers.

On Oct 5, 12:02 pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 03:33:23 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

The thump I understand.
It was the after-thump shimmer and flexing that concerned me.

I think it has done the "thump" thing a few too many times and is
starting to loosen up internally. Not a good thing obviously, and not
a recommendation for older SeaRays that have been run hard. SeaRay and
a lot of other manufacturers use glass over foam composite
construction. Once the bonds between glass and foam start to break
down, the boat loses structural integrity very quickly.

Ahhh... that makes sense and certainly fits the sensation I observed.
The skin has become detached from the muscle.

Eisboch

This is also a problem on some boats with fiberglass over foam stringers.- Hide quoted text -

Same problem can happen with any stringer material. Many of these
boats simply fiberglassed the stringers to the hull with one or two
layers of mat. Usually while the hull is still in the form. If you
keep pounding them the stringers will eventually loosen from the
hull. Particularly in the front where there is no other significant
weight to keep it together.

91 searay overheats [email protected] Cruising 2 July 15th 07 01:26 PM
Searay 268 owners Cindy General 8 December 27th 06 02:20 PM
96 searay or 97 cobia Jake General 1 June 18th 06 09:36 PM
Searay ??? Bob La Londe Cruising 1 June 27th 05 03:06 AM
WTB: Searay dashplates BOhlemache Cruising 0 January 28th 05 03:59 AM