Cindy

Default Searay 268 owners

I'm looking at buying a 1988 Searay 268. Can anyone tell me if the 5.7 (350)
liter engine is enough power or should I make sure to get the 7.4 (454). I'm
wondering if cruising in the low twenties mph what kind of rpm the two
engines would be running or better yet gal./hr. Any facts and opinions are
greatly appreciated.

mark

I have 1986 268 Sundancer with a single 350, and it is underpowered. If
you have 2 engines, I suspect planing not to be an issue, but I did not
think the 1988 268 came with 2.

I switched to a stainless prop that helped the most and added outdrive fins
too, but still is a challenge to get it on plane (without running it to the
limit). At 3400 rpm the 4 barrels are open and gas consumption is double.
If you do only have a single and want more info, let me know and I will give
you more facts.

We do love our boat (YesDear) and plan to keep for a while yet (going on 10
years now).

Mark
The S Hook guy
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

I require 3400 rpm to maintain a plane and that results in a 20mph cruising
speed.
"Cindy" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a 1988 Searay 268. Can anyone tell me if the 5.7

(350)
liter engine is enough power or should I make sure to get the 7.4 (454).

I'm
wondering if cruising in the low twenties mph what kind of rpm the two
engines would be running or better yet gal./hr. Any facts and opinions are
greatly appreciated.

jim--

wsgroups.com...

"Cindy" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a 1988 Searay 268. Can anyone tell me if the 5.7

(350)
liter engine is enough power or should I make sure to get the 7.4 (454).

I'm
wondering if cruising in the low twenties mph what kind of rpm the two
engines would be running or better yet gal./hr. Any facts and opinions
are
greatly appreciated.

The 268 only came with a single I/O. Get the biggest engine you can.

Turridro22

big block for sure... my 350 268 was a dog... make sure the drive is a bravo
.... some 454s had alphas... to much torque for an alpha

I own a 1986 268 Sundancer, The rubber seal around the port and starboard
slide windows is worn out and cracking. Does anyone know where I could buy
a roll of this seal? I can't find it anywhere.

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 07:38:10 -0500, "liquidremedy"
wrote:

I own a 1986 268 Sundancer, The rubber seal around the port and starboard
slide windows is worn out and cracking. Does anyone know where I could buy
a roll of this seal? I can't find it anywhere.

Have you checked with a Searay dealer? They will need you hull
number.

http://www.searay.com/contact-dealer.asp

or

http://www.searay.com/contact_sea_ray.asp

wrote:

I own a 1986 268 Sundancer, The rubber seal around the port and starboard
slide windows is worn out and cracking. Does anyone know where I could buy
a roll of this seal? I can't find it anywhere.

Have you checked with a Searay dealer? They will need you hull
number.

http://www.searay.com/contact-dealer.asp

or

http://www.searay.com/contact_sea_ray.asp

SeaRay didn't make the window or the rubber seal. I agree there is a
(small) chance you might be able to get a gasket for a 20-year-old boat
from your Sea Ray dealer, but a faster resolution might be to look
carefully at the windows and see if there is a mfgr's name inscribed
down in one corner. Sea Ray dealers would be unlikely to stock gaskets
for every window in every Sea Ray ever built, so they will more likely
wind up ordering the gasket from the window mfgr, if the widow company
is still in business. If the company will sell you the gasket directly,
(you will need to measure the window carefully), you might get it a
little bit faster and cheaper.

This is going to become a major issue in the future, as more boat
windows are custom designed and highly specialized, with curved
surfaces and oddball shapes. These windows are going to be $$$$$$$$$ to
replace if they should ever break, and some parts and pieces like
latches and gaskets may be a challenge to find.

Then there is the sad reality that many companies hanging the corporate
hat on supplying OEM products for larger boat builders have short life
expectancies. It takes a really skinny bid to get the business in the
first place, and then the pressure to cut costs and reduce prices even
more will often begin. At the same time, there are a dozen competitors
out there all trying to displace you at the trough. Specialized bits
and pieces can become harder to find as a boat gets older.

If the trail for a pre-cut custom fit gasket goes cold, here's one
option for you to design your own:

http://www.trimlok.com/rubber_seal.aspx

I had to replace a hatch latch on my '86, 268, and was able to purchase
directly from Taylor. I am not sure if the side windows are made by Taylor
as well, but if you cannot find any markings on it, the folks at Searay
should be able to guide you to the manufacturer.

Mark
The Rail, Canopy, and Lifeline hook guy
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I took the new owners of my boat on a cruise today and said goodbye to her jim-- General 2 May 8th 04 01:27 PM
Carolina Skiff owners group RG General 0 December 17th 03 12:47 PM
Fischer Panda Owner's Forum Geoffrey W. Schultz ASA 29 October 8th 03 01:31 AM
FS: 44'Yate Searay in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 September 6th 03 11:03 AM
Large Searay Boat Group...Is there one in Florida that gets together? Larry Cruising 0 July 31st 03 02:01 AM