Tim Tim is offline

Default Florida seniors

Outside of all the arguing, I thought the joke was pretty funny!

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:04:59 -0700, Tim wrote:

Outside of all the arguing, I thought the joke was pretty funny!

I wonder if Chuck thinks it was mean spirited?

Probably.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:04:59 -0700, Tim wrote:

Outside of all the arguing, I thought the joke was pretty funny!

I wonder if Chuck thinks it was mean spirited?

Probably.

I didn't think it was mean spirited, but I didn't find them funny.
Humor is so subjective. I actually think I am funny, but then again I
LOVED "The Far Side" and "Calvin and Hobbs" so there is no accounting
for taste..

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:04:59 -0700, Tim wrote:

Outside of all the arguing, I thought the joke was pretty funny!

I wonder if Chuck thinks it was mean spirited?

Probably.

I didn't think it was mean spirited, but I didn't find them funny. Humor
is so subjective. I actually think I am funny, but then again I LOVED
"The Far Side" and "Calvin and Hobbs" so there is no accounting for taste..

The only thing less funny than a bad joke, is the definition of humor:

Humour or humor (see spelling differences) is the ability or quality of
people, objects, or situations to evoke feelings of amusement in other
people. The term encompasses a form of entertainment or human
communication which evokes such feelings, or which makes people laugh or
feel happy. The origin of the term derives from the humoral medicine of
the ancient Greeks, which stated that a mix of fluids known as humours
(Greek: ?????, chymos, literally: juice or sap, metaphorically: flavour)
controlled human health and emotion.

A sense of humour is the ability to experience humour, a quality which
all people share, although the extent to which an individual will
personally find something humorous depends on a host of absolute and
relative variables, including geographical location, culture, maturity,
level of education, and context. For example, young children (of any
background) may possibly favour slapstick, such as Punch and Judy puppet
shows or cartoons e.g. Tom and Jerry. Satire may rely more on
understanding the target of the humour, and thus tends to appeal to more
mature audiences.[citation needed] Non-satirical humor can be
specifically termed "recreational drollery".[1][2]

from Wikipedia

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 27, 5:20 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

I actually think I am funny, but then again I
LOVED "The Far Side" and "Calvin and Hobbs" so there is no accounting for taste..

ME TOO!

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:28:08 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

something humorous depends on a host of absolute and
relative variables, including geographical location, culture, MATURITY,
level of education, and context.

(Emphasis mine)

That's the key.

To see (or be) as a child is the most over looked aspect of maturity.
Sometimes, you just have to be childlike in your demeanor or you end
up like Doug Kanter - bitter, constantly angry and disinclined to
present a rational face to the world.

I'll match my professional and education credentials against anyone
else here, yet I can appreciate a good fart joke or bit of slapstick
with as much enjoyment as any 7 year old. That's the difference
between me and a large majority of the regulars here - I don't mind
making an ass of myself from time-to-time - it keeps me humble.

It's the uptight, faux pretention of superioity - hell, let's call it
what it is, arrogance, that Chuck presents when things like this come
up that that annoys me to no end.

You know he laughed his ass off, but the Social Calvinist in him
required that he punish himself and others for momentary "weakness".

I'll take being class clown over class prig anytime. :)

wrote:

something humorous depends on a host of absolute and
relative variables, including geographical location, culture, MATURITY,
level of education, and context.

I'll take being class clown over class prig anytime. :)

NOW THIS IS HUMOR

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart.../aton1544l.jpg

"John H." wrote in message

Actually, I thought the movie was kinda cute. Was thinking of doing one of
me to send to the grandkids. Might do one anyway. Maybe I'll post it here
and give everyone a *real* laugh!

Please, please don't!
We don't need another 'Jax' type character here.

wrote:

[...]

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not totally defending Chuck here. But, there is
another way of looking at this issue.

I'm no big fan of Doug Kanter, but I'm even less of a fan of the *fake*
Doug Kanter. We don't need his kind around at all.

I personally think that a large percentage of Chuck's reaction was directed
at the fake Doug Kanter, not at the little movie itself.