Default Don't Try This at Home - Spectacular USCG Photos

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:06:54 -0400, BAR wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 9, 8:29 am, BAR wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
http://morrobayphotos.com/uscg/USCG%...epages/_1DSC_2...
or
http://tinyurl.com/2adl2u
Can't be that bad if surfers are in the water.
Looks like the surfers are inside some kind of breakwater. That is a
pretty long lens. Great shots though. For the record, I think I would
take that ride once anyway. I think

Just sitting in the room where they begin teaching how to do it - that would
be interesting. I wonder how many synonyms they find for "adrenalin".

Throwing you body at the earth at 120 MPH with only a sewing machine and
some nylon between life and death will get your adrenalin coursing
through your veins.

You had to make your parachute on the way down after you jumped?

Damn - that must have been one tough jump school.
Senior Member

On Sep 9, 11:13 am, wrote:
On Sep 9, 8:29 am, BAR wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
http://morrobayphotos.com/uscg/USCG%...epages/_1DSC_2...

or

http://tinyurl.com/2adl2u

Can't be that bad if surfers are in the water.

Looks like the surfers are inside some kind of breakwater. That is a
pretty long lens. Great shots though. For the record, I think I would
take that ride once anyway. I think

Wow, now that I am awake I recant my above statement about the guys
surfing behind a breakwater.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
http://morrobayphotos.com/uscg/USCG%...1DSC_2211.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/2adl2u

I wonder if any of the online dictionaries links to those pictures for a
definition of the word "balls".

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 08:12:17 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

http://morrobayphotos.com/uscg/USCG%...1DSC_2211.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/2adl2u

West coast, I assume. Typical stuff the Chuck probably encounters
quite often. But I could be wrong about that.

--Vic

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:47:16 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

West coast, I assume. Typical stuff the Chuck probably encounters
quite often. But I could be wrong about that.

Not really, unless he ventures outside of Puget Sound and the islands.

I've seen some big surf on the east coast but nothing quite like that.

wrote:
http://morrobayphotos.com/uscg/USCG%...epages/_1DSC_2...

or

http://tinyurl.com/2adl2u

West coast, I assume. Typical stuff the Chuck probably encounters
quite often. But I could be wrong about that.

--Vic

If I had to encounter stuff like that "quite often", I'd take up a
different pastime. Looks like USCG surfman training- which is done at
a few select locations where- on a few of the worst days of the year-
surf over river entrance bars etc will create conditions as seen in
these photos. Everybody is strapped in, and the boats are ballasted so
they can roll over and return to a full upright position. IIRC, to
graduate surfman training school. Being semi claustrophobic- I can't
imagine being strapped into a seat, upside down in the water, and
holding my breath for the 15 seconds or so I understand it can take
for the boat to right itself. That would be one looooooong 15
seconds......

Check photo 42. Those 3 footers in the foreground are indicative of
conditions that would be considered pretty uncomfortable around here,
and would be enough to keep most of pleasure boaters off the water. We
have waves not much worse than that when the radio is broadcasting
"small craft warnings".

On Sep 10, 9:35?am, Chuck Gould

Check photo 42. Those 3 footers in the foreground are indicative of
conditions that would be considered pretty uncomfortable around here,
and would be enough to keep most of pleasure boaters off the water. We
have waves not much worse than that when the radio is broadcasting
"small craft warnings".

Make that 41, not 42. The foreground on 42 is pretty tame....

On Sep 9, 5:12?am, Wayne.B wrote:
http://morrobayphotos.com/uscg/USCG%...epages/_1DSC_2...

or

http://tinyurl.com/2adl2u

This link will take you to a photo of George C. Scotts's 80-foot
Ditmar Donaldson "trying this at home" back in 1979. Same location.
Wave height was estimated at 20 feet.

http://www.yachtworld.com/capehorn/index.html

For more details, select "About the Photo Above" from the bottom of
the options on the LH margin of the page. (My friend Mike Zarkos owns
this brokerage- but this is purely an invitation to view a photo and
you can do so without wading through a lot of boats for sale).

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:43:36 -0700, Chuck Gould wrote:

This link will take you to a photo of George C. Scotts's 80-foot Ditmar
Donaldson "trying this at home" back in 1979. Same location. Wave height
was estimated at 20 feet.

http://www.yachtworld.com/capehorn/index.html

For more details, select "About the Photo Above" from the bottom of the
options on the LH margin of the page. (My friend Mike Zarkos owns this
brokerage- but this is purely an invitation to view a photo and you can
do so without wading through a lot of boats for sale).

A little larger view of the same shot:

http://www.mv-dreamer.com/Mojo.htm

I wonder what those people in the smaller boat were thinking.

On Sep 10, 10:25?am, thunder wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:43:36 -0700, Chuck Gould wrote:
This link will take you to a photo of George C. Scotts's 80-foot Ditmar
Donaldson "trying this at home" back in 1979. Same location. Wave height
was estimated at 20 feet.

http://www.yachtworld.com/capehorn/index.html

For more details, select "About the Photo Above" from the bottom of the
options on the LH margin of the page. (My friend Mike Zarkos owns this
brokerage- but this is purely an invitation to view a photo and you can
do so without wading through a lot of boats for sale).

A little larger view of the same shot:

http://www.mv-dreamer.com/Mojo.htm

I wonder what those people in the smaller boat were thinking.

"How fast can we make that last 40 yards to get behind the
breakwater?!"

or maybe, "Darn! Those were my favorite trousers!"