Default What do we do about Garmin.....

Back in late '00 and early '01, there was some discussion here about
Garmin (as an investment) and IIRC, I wasn't the only one loading up
on the stuff at around $10 (cost adjusted basis). So it bumbled along
with a respectable increase for the next few years to around $50ish
early this year, then in March it took off like a rocket. It's about
$107 now.
Generally, when they spurt like that, I'll dump 'em cuz they often
times tend to drop just as fast. But I'm not so sure about Garmin.
Anybody still here that remembers that early '01 discussion and bought
in about that time? Whutcha gonna do now? Buy? Sell? Hold?

Rick

PhantMan wrote:
Anybody still here that remembers that early '01 discussion and bought
in about that time? Whutcha gonna do now? Buy? Sell? Hold?

HK wrote:
:}
Pardon my smile.

Consider yourself pardoned.
Actually, when you started posting pics of a new boat a month or so
ago, I figured at that point you must have started cashing in LoL!
Anyhow, all their numbers still look good and getting better all the
time. So I would expect a steady increase in price. It's the spike in
their price that caught my attention. Not sure what to make of that.
So for now, I plan to keep holding. But that leaves two chances out of
three I'll be wrong.

Rick
HK HK is offline

lid wrote:
PhantMan wrote:
Anybody still here that remembers that early '01 discussion and bought
in about that time? Whutcha gonna do now? Buy? Sell? Hold?

HK wrote:
:}
Pardon my smile.

Consider yourself pardoned.
Actually, when you started posting pics of a new boat a month or so
ago, I figured at that point you must have started cashing in LoL!
Anyhow, all their numbers still look good and getting better all the
time. So I would expect a steady increase in price. It's the spike in
their price that caught my attention. Not sure what to make of that.
So for now, I plan to keep holding. But that leaves two chances out of
three I'll be wrong.

Rick

Actually, the new boat had nothing to do with the Garmin stock I bought.
If memory serves, I bought in at $11 and some of the "boys" here gave me
**** for it. But I knew those Rockhurst Jebbies would come through in
the long run.

I sold the original Yo Ho for substantially more than son of Yo Ho cost,
and my friendly neighborhood Parker dealer came up with a really nice
deal for the new boat. So we came out with quite a bit of cash.

Incidentally, my "depreciation" on the sale of the original Yo Ho was
very low, which I owe to the desirability of the Parker brand in the
Chesapeake Bay area. It only took a couple weeks to sell the boat, once
I decided to do so, and I ended up with one buyer with check in hand and
two others ready to take the boat if he did not.

Back to Garmin. I spent a considerable amount of time looking for a new
GPS for the new boat, and settled on a Garmin 4208 because of the
gorgeous screen and easy use menus.

I've got a minor issue with the Garmin software I had on hand to enter,
record, save and transfer waypoints. I updated it, but it still has a
couple of minor "Vista" issues. Works fine on my two-cycle etec Win2k
laptop, though.

HK wrote:
I bought in at $11 and some of the "boys" here gave me
**** for it. But I knew those Rockhurst Jebbies would come through in
the long run.

I started buying not long after they went public and on through the
year of '01, which is why I was interested in the discussion here back
then. I don't remember many bears on the stock but I do remember some
praise for the products. And I was under the impression that you and I
weren't the only ones here buying stock. I don't remember names though
and I can't even find the thread(s) in my archives or Googles'.
So with the recent run up, I thought I'd just post to see who's
planning to do what. Just curious.
And btw, I'm smilin' too at this point :-)
I hope we can keep it that way :-)

Rick

wrote in message
Back in late '00 and early '01, there was some discussion here about
Garmin (as an investment) and IIRC, I wasn't the only one loading up
on the stuff at around $10 (cost adjusted basis). So it bumbled along
with a respectable increase for the next few years to around $50ish
early this year, then in March it took off like a rocket. It's about
$107 now.
Generally, when they spurt like that, I'll dump 'em cuz they often
times tend to drop just as fast. But I'm not so sure about Garmin.
Anybody still here that remembers that early '01 discussion and bought
in about that time? Whutcha gonna do now? Buy? Sell? Hold?

Rick

A wise old investor once said, "bears and bulls make money, pigs eat
peanuts".

HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
wrote in message
Back in late '00 and early '01, there was some discussion here about
Garmin (as an investment) and IIRC, I wasn't the only one loading up
on the stuff at around $10 (cost adjusted basis). So it bumbled along
with a respectable increase for the next few years to around $50ish
early this year, then in March it took off like a rocket. It's about
$107 now.
Generally, when they spurt like that, I'll dump 'em cuz they often
times tend to drop just as fast. But I'm not so sure about Garmin.
Anybody still here that remembers that early '01 discussion and bought
in about that time? Whutcha gonna do now? Buy? Sell? Hold?

Rick

A wise old investor once said, "bears and bulls make money, pigs eat
peanuts".

Garmin happens to be the *only* stock I own these days. We got out of
the stock market to concentrate on less passive investing where we would
have some impact on what happened.
HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:00:35 -0500, lid wrote:

HK wrote:
I bought in at $11 and some of the "boys" here gave me
**** for it. But I knew those Rockhurst Jebbies would come through in
the long run.

I started buying not long after they went public and on through the
year of '01, which is why I was interested in the discussion here back
then. I don't remember many bears on the stock but I do remember some
praise for the products. And I was under the impression that you and I
weren't the only ones here buying stock. I don't remember names though
and I can't even find the thread(s) in my archives or Googles'.
So with the recent run up, I thought I'd just post to see who's
planning to do what. Just curious.
And btw, I'm smilin' too at this point :-)
I hope we can keep it that way :-)

Oddly enough, somebody is complaining about Garmin in
rec.boats.cruising. Check it out and factor it into the fundamentals.

--Vic

Someone always is complaining about something. As I mentioned, I have a
minor problem with a bit of Garmin software. It seems to be a VISTA
problem. I talked to a Garmin tech in Kansas yesterday for about an hour
as we tried to work through it. He was very knowledgeable and of course
spoke ENGLISH. We found a workaround and he escalated the problem. I got
an email today that I will be getting a call about the problem. That
seems a reasonable approach.

Meanwhile, I found a couple of my old XLS files with fishing waypoints
on them, so I haven't lost all 300 or whatever of them.

Garmin GPS Eisboch General 5 June 8th 07 09:31 PM
Garmin GSD 20 Tamaroak Electronics 1 October 31st 04 05:36 PM
FS: Garmin GPS in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 17th 04 04:09 PM
FS: Garmin GPS in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 10:32 AM
FS Garmin 45 in VA JAXAshby Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 06:01 PM