Default What do we do about Garmin.....

"D.Duck" wrote:
A wise old investor once said, "bears and bulls make money, pigs eat
peanuts".

LoL!
Actually, he said it more than once and was almost always right ;-)
... btw, I'm making a note: "Today I was reminded of some good
investment advice about bears, bulls, and pigs.... by a duck". ;-)

Rick

HK wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:00:35 -0500, lid wrote:

HK wrote:
I bought in at $11 and some of the "boys" here gave me **** for it.
But I knew those Rockhurst Jebbies would come through in the long run.
I started buying not long after they went public and on through the
year of '01, which is why I was interested in the discussion here back
then. I don't remember many bears on the stock but I do remember some
praise for the products. And I was under the impression that you and I
weren't the only ones here buying stock. I don't remember names though
and I can't even find the thread(s) in my archives or Googles'.
So with the recent run up, I thought I'd just post to see who's
planning to do what. Just curious.
And btw, I'm smilin' too at this point :-)
I hope we can keep it that way :-)

Oddly enough, somebody is complaining about Garmin in
rec.boats.cruising. Check it out and factor it into the fundamentals.

--Vic

Someone always is complaining about something. As I mentioned, I have a
minor problem with a bit of Garmin software. It seems to be a VISTA
problem. I talked to a Garmin tech in Kansas yesterday for about an hour
as we tried to work through it. He was very knowledgeable and of course
spoke ENGLISH. We found a workaround and he escalated the problem. I got
an email today that I will be getting a call about the problem. That
seems a reasonable approach.

Meanwhile, I found a couple of my old XLS files with fishing waypoints
on them, so I haven't lost all 300 or whatever of them.

Harry,
With 300 waypoints, that would mean you were entering 2.6 waypoints for
every hour you used the boat. I am impressed.

HK wrote:
Is a stock split in the air?

Not that I'm aware. But the last one (2 for 1) was a year ago at less
than half this level so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:03:07 -0400, HK wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:36:16 -0500, lid wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote:
A wise old investor once said, "bears and bulls make money, pigs eat
peanuts".
LoL!
Actually, he said it more than once and was almost always right ;-)
.. btw, I'm making a note: "Today I was reminded of some good
investment advice about bears, bulls, and pigs.... by a duck". ;-)

Take some profits. Buy a new boat (-:
And what I've always heard from Chicago futures traders is,
"Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

Is a stock split in the air?

Don't know anything about stocks.
In '84 I went to a dermatologist in Chicago to
get a cyst cut out of my face. She cut it out and
gave me some exotic infection whiles she was at it.
About 5 bucks a pill for the antibiotic.
Anyway, since it was acne related she prescribed an ointment called
Retin-A, which Johnson & Johnson had developed for that purpose.
It basically slowly peeled your skin off. Painful for some people,
but I could wash my face with Lava with just a little irritation.
After about a month of using this Retin-A, my wife says.
"Your wrinkles are disappearing."
Didn't think much of it, and about a year later I read a small
article in the science section Tribune to the effect that an acne
medication might prove to be a wrinkle remover.
Well sure, I thought. That's no surprise.
Then maybe a couple months later it's big news and everybody with
Johnson stock is making a killing.
Of course it never entered my mind to buy that stock.
So I got my face burned and my ass bit and never knew it.

--Vic

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:14:53 -0400, Dan intrceptor@gmaildotcom
wrote:

Wow. You get two shares at half the price. What a bargain!

You're right about the math not adding up but historically a split is
usually good for a short term hop in the price. Its all in the
psychology and perception.

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:31:15 -0400, HK wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Oddly enough, somebody is complaining about Garmin in
rec.boats.cruising. Check it out and factor it into the fundamentals.

--Vic

Someone always is complaining about something. As I mentioned, I have a
minor problem with a bit of Garmin software. It seems to be a VISTA
problem. I talked to a Garmin tech in Kansas yesterday for about an hour
as we tried to work through it. He was very knowledgeable and of course
spoke ENGLISH. We found a workaround and he escalated the problem. I got
an email today that I will be getting a call about the problem. That
seems a reasonable approach.

Now I see Tom bought a non-Garmin GPS. What I was suggesting in
reading that complaint is that one might recognize that Garmin went
big into auto GPS's, perhaps neglecting their marine arm. Now other
mfg's might be making inroads in the auto-side GPS market.
I described what I know about the stock market when I mentioned the
Retin-A and Johnson and Johnson, which is nothing, and wouldn't
think to give advice on stocks. It's not rocket science though to
suggest taking some profits in any market.
I do trade commodity futures, and have seen how market fundamentals
aren't always readily recognized.

--Vic

Dan Dan is offline

wrote:

Wow. You get two shares at half the price. What a bargain!

You're right about the math not adding up but historically a split is
usually good for a short term hop in the price. Its all in the
psychology and perception.

Short-term, maybe. Beyond that it's business as usual.

Dan

Garmin GPS Eisboch General 5 June 8th 07 09:31 PM
Garmin GSD 20 Tamaroak Electronics 1 October 31st 04 05:36 PM
FS: Garmin GPS in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 17th 04 04:09 PM
FS: Garmin GPS in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 10:32 AM
FS Garmin 45 in VA JAXAshby Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 06:01 PM