Tim Tim is offline

Default Anybody else notice uncrowded conditions this summer?

wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 07, Tim wrote:
Beats me, John. for some reason I replied to a "Jim" knowing that the
posting came from "JohnH"
That truely is an oddity.

I wouldn't worry about it Tom.
It happens to all of us sooner or later ;-)

Rick

LOL! thanks for the reminder, Rocky!

On Fri, 31 Aug 07, Chuck Gould wrote:
If my theory proves correct, there will be some excellent deals
available on boat pretty soon.

Sounds reasonable but what about sailboats? Are they MIA as well?
My little world is in a different situation. I live at ground zero of
the Katrina landfall. A substantial percentage of boats were destroyed
and they're now in piles at salvage yards. Marinas both public and
private are gone so even if your boat survived, there's no place to
tie it up. Plus,a large part of the boating public is gone. Without
jobs or places to live, quite a few long time residents have had to
seek a life elsewhere. The price of fuel isn't a problem though. In
fact, it's surprisingly low right now at gas stations inland The
problem with fuel is finding a fuel dock. Lugging fuel in 5 gal cans
gets old pretty quick.
It's a strange world I'm living in these days.

Rick
Dan Dan is offline

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:38:45 -0700, Tim wrote:

On Aug 31, 8:00 pm, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:37:25 -0000, Tim wrote:
On Aug 31, 6:32 pm, "JimH" ask wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tim, to which lakes are you referring?
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H- Hide quoted text -

Carlyle Lake (S. IL) Omega Lake (Forbes state park) Twin forks.
(Olney IL) Lake Shelbyville (Shelbyville IL)

Those are the lakes in my local area, Jim. And Even though I don't
frequent a couple of them, I do know of others that have said that
attendance was down due to weather.

What did I do that you're calling me 'Jim' for? :)

I'm kinda worried that when we move to NC, and have only lakes to boat in,
I'll feel 'hemmed in'. We'll be living close to Falls Lake, north of
Raleigh.
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H

You can always vacation on the coast and rent or charter.

Dan

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
I used to fish that Buras/TriumphVenice area all the time when I
worked for Texaco. I haven't been back in a long time - I would image
that area is all gone from what I remember.

I drove down to Venice a few weeks ago. They were on the so called
"easy" side of the storm but yep, it's swept clean.
I'm from the MS Gulf Coast.

Has the fishing recovered at all or are you not a fisherman?

I fish a little. And have some friends that are fanatics about it.
Seems the year after a major storm, the fishing comes back like
gangbusters. The best fishing year I can remember was '70 right after
Hurricane Camille in '69. Not sure why that. But it happened again in
'06 after Katrina (Katrina was '05). It seems to be back to normal now
which is pretty decent some trips, only so-so on others.

Rick

HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:12:24 -0700, Chuck Gould penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

One question that continues to bug me after returning from our 16 days
on the boat this month...."Where was everybody?"

Absolutely. Take today, for example: temperate weather, no rain, and
calm sea state. The island is full of people.... motel no vacancies,
heavy traffic on and off the island, but peering down from the bridge
over the ICW, I noted 7 boats in the 5 miles I could see.

I'm guessing that fuel costs are the issue. We've used the G3 more
this year than the Grady....

I was out this afternoon and Bay conditions were nearly perfect for
small boats. Not too hot, either. Lotsa boats everywhere.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:12:24 -0700, Chuck Gould penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

One question that continues to bug me after returning from our 16 days
on the boat this month...."Where was everybody?"

I think they're all down here Gene. It did look pretty calm near shore and
I was temped to take the skiff out but didn't. Our boat ramp was slammed
over the weekend. We usually do our boating during the week because of
this.

I talked to my buddy who fished the King Mac tourney and said
there were 4-6's just off shore... Something about a north wind.

Its a good thing we didn't have to live off the land (or sea) last week.
We'd
have gone hungry. I think the fish have been *cooked*.

We played on a little island in the Lockwood Folly inlet and
I swear the water was a clear as I have EVER seen it there.
I see they are dredging the inlet there.

db

On Sep 4, 11:57 am, "D-unit" cof42_AT_embarqmail.com wrote:
[...]

Recreational boating in central NC seems about the same as usual.
It's always busy at the beginning of the year then drops off a bit as
people start doing other things. Then we get busy for the 4th and
labor day.

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:12:24 -0700, Chuck Gould wrote:

One question that continues to bug me after returning from our 16 days
on the boat this month...."Where was everybody?"

Well, Chuck, until I read the other posts that say it's the same on the
East, I'd say a large factor was the crappy weather. (No boat, so we went
camping...). We were at Osoyoos, largest desert in Canada, in August, and
it RAINED. We had the beach to ourselves. Two weeks later, Shuswap.
Rained. WTF???

Anyway, hope you're right: might clear up the 5-year waiting lists at the
marinas (and make them a LITTLE less snooty - see my rant at
http://www.bcboatnet.org/cgi-bin/yab...num=1189093315
)

druid - boatless in Delta
http://www.bcboatnet.org