Default Teleflex pin keeps popping out! Help!

I've installed new steering on my 17' Montauk. Teleflex no feedback.
The hitch pin keeps popping free with some right turns. Is this a
design flaw or am I missing something? If I have too, I'll retrofit a
bolt in the helm to retain the cable. It was a pain today on the lake
having to stop and replace the pin many times.

Yeahm I don't know that it's in right. It's been semi-functional but
pops out sometimes on a hard turn. I'm putting it inline parallel to
the steering cable, it fits in a little channel but doesn't go in far.
I'm wondering if it should go in the hole also on the helm, which
makes more sense to me. I may just remove it all and get a better look
at it. My engine is running like a top now, new steering...so I'm
looking foward to finishing these other minor glitches soon.
This whaler is an '82 and there's many rail screws that are loose.
What will be the best fix? Bigger screws, or epoxying the holes and
redrilling? Next big job is removing the anti fouling, it's a mess and
I only will use this boat on freshwater any way and dry stored.

wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:46:43 -0700, wrote:

I've installed new steering on my 17' Montauk. Teleflex no feedback.
The hitch pin keeps popping free with some right turns. Is this a
design flaw or am I missing something? If I have too, I'll retrofit a
bolt in the helm to retain the cable. It was a pain today on the lake
having to stop and replace the pin many times.

You mean the safety pin? Are you putting it in right? I know mine
screwed with me the first time I took it out and my neighbor showed me
I had it in wrong. The pictogram on the unit is sort of cryptic

I fixed it today. I disassembled the steering and with the safety pin
in place, put a stainless hose clamp around the flanged part of the
cable and the pin. I also put a steel wire in the clamp and fixed it
to the other side of the help to prevent the whole fix from ever
moving. I really think they have a bit of a design flaw on this
though. It works fine except when it's turned all to the left and then
you turn right, the torque was popping the pin right out somehow.

Merc Shifter versus Teleflex the bug Boat Building 0 July 2nd 06 12:37 PM
Lubricating Teleflex Steering - How? [email protected] General 6 June 30th 06 04:01 PM
teleflex magicbus same as nmea 2000? Bill Kearney Electronics 0 May 19th 06 04:23 PM
Teleflex Steering N1RSP General 0 August 15th 05 05:20 PM
Help with Teleflex Safe-t qc helm and cable installation [email protected] General 0 August 7th 05 07:59 PM