Default Choosing a Bimini

With my new homebuilt Tolman Skiff, I need shade. My daughter was
diagnosed with melanoma when she was only 17 and she had never even
burned. Fortunately, she seems to be ok but sun protection is now a
major issue for us here in N. FL.
My Tolman is a 20' long center console type. A T-Top would not cover
enough without looking huge and being unwieldy I think. So, I am
leaning toward a Bimini with stainless frame but I have questions.
How fast can I go with a bimini up? I rarely go faster than 25 and
mostly under 20 mph.
How long should it be? Waste Marine says no longer than 6' for a boat
less than 20'.
When standing at the console, how high above my head should it be?
Do dark colors seem hot to your head being near them in direct sun?
Other considerations?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:55:16 -0700, Frogwatch
wrote:

My Tolman is a 20' long center console type. A T-Top would not cover
enough without looking huge and being unwieldy I think. So, I am
leaning toward a Bimini with stainless frame but I have questions.

What have other Tolman owners done?

How fast can I go with a bimini up? I rarely go faster than 25 and
mostly under 20 mph.

It all depends on how well it is supported and braced. I cruise my
runabout at 26 to 30 kts with short bursts to 40+. No problems, even
with a stiff headwind.

How long should it be? Waste Marine says no longer than 6' for a boat
less than 20'.

That's probably about right but it depends on the boat. I'd get it
made by a custom canvas shop with lots of experience.

When standing at the console, how high above my head should it be?

6 to 8 inches of headroom is plenty.

Do dark colors seem hot to your head being near them in direct sun?

No, and dark colors are regarded as more durable in sunlight.

Other considerations?

I prefer stainless steel frames over aluminum.

On Jun 13, 11:54 pm, "Mike" wrote:
Like Wayne says, it depends on how it's supported. The bimini on my boat
says not to exceed 45mph. I've had it up to 50 without a problem.

--Mike

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

oups.com...

With my new homebuilt Tolman Skiff, I need shade. My daughter was
diagnosed with melanoma when she was only 17 and she had never even
burned. Fortunately, she seems to be ok but sun protection is now a
major issue for us here in N. FL.
My Tolman is a 20' long center console type. A T-Top would not cover
enough without looking huge and being unwieldy I think. So, I am
leaning toward a Bimini with stainless frame but I have questions.
How fast can I go with a bimini up? I rarely go faster than 25 and
mostly under 20 mph.
How long should it be? Waste Marine says no longer than 6' for a boat
less than 20'.
When standing at the console, how high above my head should it be?
Do dark colors seem hot to your head being near them in direct sun?
Other considerations?

Thanks y'all.

The only othr Tolman owner who says he has a bimini has a low power
engine so rarely goes even up to 20 mph.
I'd like a big bimini. Holding the 6' tape along my boats sides makes
it look ok and MAYBE 8' is too long. Its hard to tell. Suggestions
on the length issue of 6' or 8'?

Suggestions on the length issue of 6' or 8'?

Bigger is always better isn't it? :-)

I'm not sure how long mine is, I'll have to open it up.

No wise cracks from the peanut gallery!

--Mike

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 11:54 pm, "Mike" wrote:
Like Wayne says, it depends on how it's supported. The bimini on my boat
says not to exceed 45mph. I've had it up to 50 without a problem.

--Mike

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

8' is probably too long. Stainless steel is nice but the aluminum will work
ok too. It's anodized so it won't corrode as long as you do not scratch it
up. I go for just barely enough head room for me at 6'4" and no more. The
lower it is the more shade it will provide when the sun is not directly
overhead. I also prefer the support poles on the rear instead of straps at
both ends. That makes it easier to run around with it closed up. I go 50
mph with mine but just for short distances. Your speeds will not be a
problem if you install it correctly. Adjust the position so it catches as
little wind as possible when you are underway.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 11:54 pm, "Mike" wrote:
Like Wayne says, it depends on how it's supported. The bimini on my boat
says not to exceed 45mph. I've had it up to 50 without a problem.

--Mike

oups.com...