posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.scuba,rec.boats,rec.scuba.locations
Ed

Default Don Smith, Dockmaster of Bimini Big Game Club, dies in Chaulks Crash

For any of you who have visited Big Game over the years, Don was the
friendly man would would ride his bike out to meet your boat and offer
an island welcome. He always had a kind word and a lending hand. His
presence will be missed. For information on donating to the families of
the disaster, please see the end of this email.

If you wish to resond, replace nospam with estrobel in the email address
above.

Ed

Don Smith 1940 - 2005

December 21, 2005

Dear Ed ,

It is with very deep sadness that we convey to you the news of the death
of Don Smith. Long time Dockmaster here at the Bimini Big Game Resort &
Marina. Don, along with 10 other residents of Bimini, were killed in the
tragic crash of Chalks flight #101 on Monday, December 19th, 2005. Among
those who perished was Don’s 18 month old grandson Jervis who was on his
way back to Bimini with Don. The crash of flight #101 is the single
largest tragedy to touch Bimini since the deadly hurricane of 1932.

Don started work here at the Big Game Club as a dockhand back in 1975
and was promoted to the position of Dockmaster in 1991. There is
probably no one more widely known to boating visitors of Bimini than
Don. His friendliness, warmth, sense of humor, and welcoming demeanor
were a big part of why so many people viewed Bimini, and the Big Game
Resort as their home away from home. It will be difficult to replace Don
here at “The Club”. Filling the shoes of such a loved, respected, and
admired man as Don will be no easy task. We assure you that Assistant
Dockmaster Robbie Smith, along with dockhands Cisco Levarity and Lionel
Rolle will work diligently to maintain the high standards that Don Smith
set during his tenure here at the Big Game Marina.

We know that all of you join us in expressing our deepest condolences to
Don’s wife Maureen and the rest of his family. As soon as the family has
an opportunity to make funeral arrangements for Don we will send out
another email with those details. Also, there will be a Memorial Fund
set up to benefit Don’s surviving family members. As soon as those
details are available we will also pass them along to you. If anyone
happens to have any digital photos of Don, The Club is trying to collect
as many as possible for a future Memorial Project. If you would like to
help with the project could you please email the photos as attachments
to Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Further details will soon be available on our website

Those wishing to make donations for all of the families of Bimini’s Flt
# 101 victims may make checks payable to the “Bimini Flight 101 Victims
Fund”. Checks may be mailed c/o The Bimini Big Game Resort & Marina PO
Box 741330 Boynton Beach FL. 33474

Sincerely,

Ownership and Management

Bimini Big Game Resort and Marina