Gary Warner

Default How much to pay for a custom made Bimini Top ??

I talked to an upholsterer today about making a bimini top for
Delilah. (He's done many boats). I know, especially after
all our work restoring our boat, that no project is as small or
easy as it seems. And I realize that quality work takes time
and skill. I don't mind paying for that. But still, the quote I
got seems high to me.

I plan on going to some other people in this area for comparisons
but was wondering what people here on rec.boats would
"guestimate" for a price on this.

The Job:
- A bimini cover for our 22 foot Chris Craft.
- Width probably 8 or 9 feet.
- Length of main bimini probably 5 or 6 feet.
- The cover would come up from the windshield.
- Held up by one set of posts.
- Also removeable (zippered) sides that attach to side windows.
- Also what this guy called a "convertable" back.
Basically a length of cloth (8 or 9 feet) that connects (zipperes) to
the back edge of the bimini. It slants down and snapps to the boat
behind the back steats. This part is not really to be used when the
boat is being used. It's there so that the entire boat is enclosed
when it's being docked somewhere.

- Sunbrella material
- Stainless Steel 7/8" tubing

I'll try to find some pictures that show what we want. Until then, here
are pictures of the our boat to give some little idea:
http://tinyurl.com/4coae

Thanks,
Gary

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:41:26 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

[...]

Sweet boat. The people are kind of ugly, but the boat is nice. :)

Anyway....

Based on having canvas done for the Ranger and the Contender, minus
the size difference and metal, I'd say somewhere around 1 to 1.3k for
the material and labor and probably another 400 or so for the metal
bending, labor and entire installation.

Somewhere around 1,500 to 1,800 $ in my area.

Later,

Tom
Gary Warner

"P. Fritz" wrote in message
Probably in the 2-3 k range.

I would not go with the slant back....spend the money for a camper back or
get a mooring cover.

Why do you say?

The thing is we almost never need a mooring cover. Usually the boat is
either
in use or at home under a shelter. Really we just need the bimini. The only
reason for the slant back is on that rare occasion - say we're on vacation -
that the boat is not in use but not home under cover. Then it would be
nice to have something to cover her up a little. And just adding the
slant back is probably cheaper than a full mooring cover. ~~

Is there some reason you don't like / think the slant back is worth it?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Warner

Sweet boat. The people are kind of ugly, but the boat is nice. :)

Thanks....I think.

I'll post our quoted price sometime tomorrow.

Calif Bill

I paid $225 2 years ago for the replacement cover, and another $250 for new
side curtains. The cover was made in Oregon when I got my boat repainted.
Was supposed to have included zippers to hook up the side curtains I had.
When I got home, no zippers and the top was a little higher, so the old,
good shape curtains would not fit. New curtains are nicer. I have a camper
back and the few times I have used it while winter sturgeon fishing, really
liked it. Is eisenglass, so see through. I also have a mooring / trailer
cover in Topgun fabric that was $750.

"P. Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:52:44 -0500, "Gary Warner"

.. .

Sweet boat. The people are kind of ugly, but the boat is nice. :)

Thanks....I think.

It was a joke my friend - only a joke.

I'll post our quoted price sometime tomorrow.

I printed off the specifications and as it happens, I'm passing by the
local canvass guy this morning - I'll stop in and have him look at it
for a ball park figure.

Later,

Tom

Wayne.B

wrote:
[...]

I had a similar bimini/side curtains/back made for my 24 ft I/O last
year. The price in SW Florida was about $1300. That is probably
somewhat less than prices in the north east since it is a labor
intensive process.

P.Fritz

"P. Fritz" wrote in message
Probably in the 2-3 k range.

I would not go with the slant back....spend the money for a camper back
or get a mooring cover.

Why do you say?

The thing is we almost never need a mooring cover. Usually the boat is
either
in use or at home under a shelter. Really we just need the bimini. The
only
reason for the slant back is on that rare occasion - say we're on
vacation -
that the boat is not in use but not home under cover. Then it would be
nice to have something to cover her up a little. And just adding the
slant back is probably cheaper than a full mooring cover. ~~

Is there some reason you don't like / think the slant back is worth it?

Just a difference in the way you and I use our boats. Mine is a bit
bigger......28 ft. and sits in a slip through the season. The slant back
doesn't give you much room if it is raining or cold. (or someone sleeping on
the back deck.) Boats in slips sit out all the time, and using a mooring
cover extends the life of the bimini canvas. The price is scaled back from
the estimates I have gotten to replace mine......new top, side curtains, and
camper backer are going to put be back about 4-5k next spring.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Warner

It was a joke my friend - only a joke.

Yea, I knew that...sometimes it's hard to put that 'smile' in one's voice
when writing.

I printed off the specifications and as it happens, I'm passing by the
local canvass guy this morning - I'll stop in and have him look at it
for a ball park figure.

Cool. Thanks Tom.