Gary Warner

Default Having a Mooring Cover & Bimini made - any suggestions ??

So we're going next week to bring the boat (1958 Chris Craft, Pictures as
link below)
to an upholsterer to ask about him making a mooring cover and Bimini. This
guy
comes pretty well reccomended (though not from boat owners) and I do see
he's
had boats in his shop - and has pictures of boats he's done - do he's got
some
experience.

I know everyone says Sunbrella is THE stuff to use.

Besides price and a work schedule that we like (doesn't really matter much
as we're not boating any more this year) what else should we be asking /
looking for / thinking about??

Any best colors (besides what we like & looks good on the boat) ??

Are snaps the only way to fasten these - or are there other options??

Thanks,
Gary

Delilah Restoration
http://tinyurl.com/spsv

Delilah Trailer
http://tinyurl.com/3apc6

Delilah 1st Day
http://tinyurl.com/4coae

Dan Krueger

Get a color you like for your boat. Even dark Sunbrella colors hold up very
well - mine is a dark blue and I'm in the S. FL sun. After almost four years it
still looks and works like new.

Instead of snaps that can be tough to attach and often break, there is another
fastening system that I have seen. The best way to describe it is that they
screw in small, plastic/nylon "buttons" around the perimeter of the boat. There
are small bungee cord loops sewn into the cover. These loops have a small tag
on them so you can grab them and pull them onto the buttons. The only
downside(s) I see are that the bungees can eventually rot and the buttons
protrude a little more that a snap would - maybe a 1/4". Odds are your canvas
shop is familiar with these and can advise you further.

You specifically said you want a mooring cover. This will require a lot less
attention than a trailering cover so make sure you decide now if you will ever
try to trailer with your cover on. That is very important.

Good luck!
Dan

Gary Warner wrote:
[...]

Gary Warner

Thanks for the info & ideas, Dan. We're going to talk to the guy today.