Doug Dotson

Default made a cheap bimini top for '16

Hope the green oxidation from the pipe goes well with the canvas

Doug
s/v Callista

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Here in Washington the summers are great and I bought a '16 aluminum
boat. It didn't have a bimini top though and after spending the $ on
the boat I didn't feel like spending $150 - $200 for a bimini top. So
I made my own out of 1/2" copper pipe and 45-degree elbows from
HomeDepot. I bought some Sunbrella type material ($15/yrd for 60"
wide) from Seattle Fabrics on Hwy99 in N Seattle and my mom-in-law and
I stayed up late Saturday night sewing it up so we could use it on
Sunday. It's about 4 1/2' long and 65" wide. The middle sags slightly
since there is no tension in the middle but it doesn't make noise
(flapping) while running WOT on the 30hp Johnson.

I may have made the side poles too long (easy to shorten), but it came
out pretty good and it only cost approx $50 to make. Pic of it is at
http://home.comcast.net/~ryanw59/bimini_top.jpg

I used elbows because my first attempt at bending didn't come out too
well and I don't have a pipe bender, although this one looks
interesting, http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/pipe/index.html.
Maybe I'll build this bender and build a frame out of aluminum or SS,
then make the bimini top longer so that it'd cover more of the boat.

Florida Keyz

I did like the shape, kinda neat. Maybe consider PVC if the copper don't work
out.
Doug Dotson

PVC won't hold together for long in wind and waves. Aluminum tubing
is probably the next best choice, with stainless being the best.

Doug
s/v Callista