Default Proper interpretation of no-wake rules

At the outlet (to Lake Ontario) of the bay where I launch my yacht, there's
a marina to one side of the outlet, and the public launch on the other side.
About 200' further into the bay, a no-wake zone begins. Quite a few stoopids
leaving the bay will approach the no-wake signs at full speed, which means
their wakes cause as much trouble as if they'd just kept going at full
speed. I guess the cops finally figured this out. Yesterday, they had 3
boats (one CG, actually), and they were flagging down stoopids about 200-300
feet before the no-wake zone. The guy at the boat launch said they're
issuing tickets as if the stoopids were already in the zone, their logic
being that your wake doesn't change much in 100 feet, especially if it's
huge to begin with. They don't care if your boat's in the no-wake zone.
Doesn't matter because your wake will be there shortly.

Hopefully, this policy will spread. Watch out, stoopids.

HK HK is offline

Midlant wrote:
[...]

Maybe it will make the "stoopids" a bit more courteous. On the ICW, I
think "yachtsters" with stern heavy pleasure barges throwing up huge
wakes ought to be subject to a fullisade eight pounders from shoreside
cannon batteries.

The point of their action is (nitwit early replies to this thread
notwithstanding) that by the time the offending bleach bottle crosses
the zone boundary, the damage is already done. A prudent Captain does
NOT throttle down AT the zone boundary, but well before. An asinine
limit. Cars don't produce damaging wake. The WAKE is the *POINT* of the
'NO WAKE ZONE', not perse the boats speed. The tickets, in my opinion,
are valid, for the infraction is one of judgment, which is crucial to
captaining a boat legally and safely.
JR

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

We had 2 of them run their boats at full speed within 75 feet of us while we
were anchored (along with a dozen or so other boats) fishing.

There are idiots on the water everywhere.

What about the boat passing by the the inlet with no intention of entering
it? Can his wake get him a ticket too?

The Coasties are overreaching on this one. If they want people to slow down
200-300 feet before the no-wake zone, then move the markers out 200-300
feet.

[...]

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Not exactly possible in this place. I'll have to snap a picture next time
I'm there. On a busy day, it's a circus even when everyone's obeying the
law.

What I find interseting... Scotty ASA 78 November 9th 06 02:12 AM
Rules of the Road: Does anyone care? [email protected] General 13 August 21st 05 12:07 AM
Professional Courtesy and Respect Simple Simon ASA 405 February 11th 04 02:27 AM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon ASA 149 October 22nd 03 04:08 AM
COLREGS - The final word on pecking order in restricted visibility. Simple Simon General 84 October 19th 03 05:41 AM