Default Rules of the Road: Does anyone care?

I'm thinking of getting back into boating, and so I pick up that
ponderous old tome, Chapman's, and I open it up to the chapter on Rules
of the Road.

And as every educated boater knows, there are all kinds of rules
concerning signaling with blasts of the horn when you're overtaking,
changing course, and so on.

And this puzzles me, because I don't think I've ever seen these rules
obeyed, in all the time I've been on the water. I don't think I've
ever heard a boat horn blasted, except perhaps in anger.

Indeed, I would argue that if the rules were followed in an actual
harbour, people would go deaf hearing all the horn blasts!

Why is Chapman (or Mahoney, I guess) concerned with rules nobody
observes out in the real world?

Is it possible that learning about these ancient rules is actually
detrimental to safety out on the water, since nobody obeys them and
it's bad to teach people to expect that they will be obeyed?

Are there any books that talk about what actually happens out on the
water instead of the theory of what should happen?

I have been studying the State Boating Safety Handbook which is given
out on request to new boaters.

There is no information on horn or other signalling that I can find
other than the 'right of way' rules.

Maybe it only applies to commercial vessels.?

otnmbrd

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been studying the State Boating Safety Handbook which is given
out on request to new boaters.

There is no information on horn or other signalling that I can find
other than the 'right of way' rules.

Maybe it only applies to commercial vessels.?

Throw the "handbook" away and get the complete set of "rules" ..... you will
not find a mention of "commercial versus recreational", in there.

thunder

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:24:01 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

I still think some form of hand signals might be more appropriate
for small vessels in close quarters. I doubt a guy on a 2 stroke ski could
hear most horns anyway.

Perhaps, but a horn works at night, and in fog. I wouldn't expect hand
signals to be much use then.

Well, yes ...

But what's the point of being a stickler on rules nobody obeys?

Or even learning them?

Just wondering.

Bill McKee wrote:
Reading the Oregon fishing rules book, and they have a big safety notice in
their. "Who has the right of way? THE BIG GUY" Shows a sailboat saying
they will turn, we have the right of way. The deckhand of the tanker is
saying, did you feel a bump?

Even if common sense didn't dictate that sailors (and others) need to
stay out of the way of commercial vessels, the rules specifically do.
No vessel under 20 meters and no vessel of any size under sail can
impede a power driven vessel following a VTS. Here's an interesting and
far out possibilty: Since a pleasure boat can voluntarily follow a VTS
and the rules say that sailors and small power boats cannot impede aany
vessel following a VTS, there might be a strong argument that a 40'
sailboat needs to give way to a 20' powerboat *if* the powerboat is
following the VTS. It would take a court case to sort this out, but
it's a technically correct appllication of the rules.