Default Cutty Sark seriously damaged by fire

Senior Member

On May 21, 7:16 am, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

They are already saying they can restore it, I guess if you consider
the keel as the only surviving origional part, I guess. They are
calling the fire suspicious too, that would suck if it were destroyed
intentionally by some screwwad.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:16:11 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Quite a bit of it's history is on it's website.

http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/

A birdseye view of the damage:
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...BT_468x606.jpg

On May 21, 4:51 am, wrote:
On May 21, 7:16 am, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

They are already saying they can restore it, I guess if you consider
the keel as the only surviving origional part, I guess. They are
calling the fire suspicious too, that would suck if it were destroyed
intentionally by some screwwad.

Old ships are a lot like the "axe that's been in the family for 200
years."
The head's been replaced 8 times, the handle 10, but as far as
everybody is concerned it's still the same axe.

Certain ships have a soul or a spirit. Cutty Sark isn't merely a
collection of old frames, masts, and timbers -she's alive in the
images of adventure, romance, and seamaship that are evoked by the
mere mention of her name. These old boats only really die off when
there's nobody that loves them anymore....

On 21 May 2007 06:19:02 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

These old boats only really die off when
there's nobody that loves them anymore....

Nice thought, and it's true.

I say we revive more history as a result. Blame Spain. Invade.

A couple of photos of the ship taken last year by a friend of mine:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4...ide2006ly2.jpg

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3...tty2006fl5.jpg

Somebody needs to call the cops on these assholes. Talk about creating
job security....what was it? "yeah, we can still fix it...for 20M more...
JR

On May 21, 9:19 am, Chuck Gould wrote:
On May 21, 4:51 am, wrote:

On May 21, 7:16 am, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

They are already saying they can restore it, I guess if you consider
the keel as the only surviving origional part, I guess. They are
calling the fire suspicious too, that would suck if it were destroyed
intentionally by some screwwad.

Old ships are a lot like the "axe that's been in the family for 200
years."
The head's been replaced 8 times, the handle 10, but as far as
everybody is concerned it's still the same axe.

Certain ships have a soul or a spirit. Cutty Sark isn't merely a
collection of old frames, masts, and timbers -she's alive in the
images of adventure, romance, and seamaship that are evoked by the
mere mention of her name. These old boats only really die off when
there's nobody that loves them anymore....

That is a great thought. I guess I have felt the spirit of some of my
boats, guess that's how I come up with the names. Last year I gave an
old hull I had built to an older fellow, he was going to patch it for
a utility skiff. He seemed to know what he was getting in to, and how
to patch it up cheap and ugly. After the guy left I remembered I did
not know who he was, or where my old boat was going, that kind of
bothers me a little now, glad though someone is getting some use out
of it.