Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Cutty Sark seriously damaged by fire

On May 21, 4:51 am, wrote:
On May 21, 7:16 am, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

They are already saying they can restore it, I guess if you consider
the keel as the only surviving origional part, I guess. They are
calling the fire suspicious too, that would suck if it were destroyed
intentionally by some screwwad.

Old ships are a lot like the "axe that's been in the family for 200
years."
The head's been replaced 8 times, the handle 10, but as far as
everybody is concerned it's still the same axe.

Certain ships have a soul or a spirit. Cutty Sark isn't merely a
collection of old frames, masts, and timbers -she's alive in the
images of adventure, romance, and seamaship that are evoked by the
mere mention of her name. These old boats only really die off when
there's nobody that loves them anymore....