posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.local.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Cutty Sark Ablaze - arson?

Blaze ravages Cutty Sark

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007052...k-dba1618.html

The Cutty Sark, one of the capital's best-loved tourist attractions,
has been ravaged by fire as it underwent £25 million of renovations.

Eight fire engines attended the scene in Greenwich, southeast London,
while residents were evacuated to a nearby hotel.

Inspector Bruce Middlemiss, from Greenwich borough police, said: "We
are treating this as a suspicious incident. We have no intelligence
about suspects.

"We are aware that there were a number of people in the area at the
time. We would urge anyone with information to contact police
immediately." He had no description of the people but said there was
possibly a silver car in the area at the time.

The 137-year-old clipper was undergoing restoration work as sea salt
had accelerated the corrosion of the vessel's iron framework. It was
in dry dock and had been due to reopen in 2009.

However, around 50 per cent of the ship was not at the site because it
had been taken away for repair.

Chairman of Cutty Sark Enterprises, Chris Livett, believes she can be
fully restored. He said: "It will be the old ship. The ship has been
through many things in its lifetime. It has sailed the oceans of the
world, it has battled with nature through its life.

"This is going to make us even more determined to get this ship back
up and running and keep her as original as possible."

He continued: "The mast, much of the planking, the coach housing and
all of the artefacts were not there. We're very, very fortunate... It
could have been a lot worse.

Describing the blaze as "a significant blow for us", he said: "People
have worked very hard on this. We're about a quarter of the way into
the project."

Asked if the ship was salvageable, he said: "I know it's salvageable."

He said: "This ship has been through many things. She's over 100 years
old. She's been through recessions, storms, hurricanes. She's been
battling all her life. She's not dead yet, far from it."

Built in 1869 by Scott & Linton, Dumbarton, the Cutty Sark is the
world's only surviving extreme clipper - one of the fastest commercial
sailing ships - and the only tea clipper still in existence.

She was originally used to deliver tea from China in the 1870s and
later travelled on many journeys to fetch wool from Australia.

The Cutty Sark was preserved in Greenwich partly as a memorial to the
men of the merchant Navy, particularly those who lost their lives in
the world wars.

Bus routes are being diverted around the area of the blaze and the
Docklands Light Railway (DLR) is now running as normal.

CJB wrote:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007052...k-dba1618.html

Inspector Bruce Middlemiss, from Greenwich borough police, said:
"We have no intelligence about suspects.

There's a reason for that.

On 21 May 2007 02:28:21 -0700, CJB wrote:

The 137-year-old clipper was undergoing restoration work as sea salt
had accelerated the corrosion of the vessel's iron framework. It was
in dry dock and had been due to reopen in 2009.

However, around 50 per cent of the ship was not at the site because it
had been taken away for repair.

Chairman of Cutty Sark Enterprises, Chris Livett, believes she can be
fully restored. He said: "It will be the old ship. The ship has been
through many things in its lifetime. It has sailed the oceans of the
world, it has battled with nature through its life.

"This is going to make us even more determined to get this ship back
up and running and keep her as original as possible."

I have an 137 year old axe. It's had the head replaced 3 times and the
handle 5 times but we always tried to keep it as "original as
possible."
posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.local.london

schreef in bericht
[...]

In due course all that remains original and unique is the exquisite design.
And the ship's fabric is only there to illustrate it.
--
Lou van Wijhe
Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/

posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.local.london

On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:10:25 +0200, "Lou van Wijhe"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
.. .
[...]

But who would remember it if it had been named "beefeater"?

posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.local.london

schreef in bericht
On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:10:25 +0200, "Lou van Wijhe"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
--
Lou van Wijhe
Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/
AntiSpam: Vervang INVALID in e-mail adres door NL
AntiSpam: Replace INVALID in e-mail address by NL

posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.local.london

On Wed, 23 May 2007 10:11:37 +0200, "Lou van Wijhe"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
.. .
On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:10:25 +0200, "Lou van Wijhe"
wrote:

schreef in bericht
[...]

"There is only negative equity in a bad name. When the name is bad,
things tend to get worse. When the name is good, things tend to get
better."

The Cutty Sark Mike Harrison General 5 October 12th 06 11:31 AM
Cutty Sark Documentation (The Ship, not the whisky) Lou van Wijhe Tall Ships 0 March 3rd 06 09:47 AM
Cutty Sark Gleason Sackmann Tall Ships 0 July 27th 04 04:03 PM
Can they save the Cutty Sark? Chris Brady General 5 March 25th 04 09:05 AM
Can they save the Cutty Sark? Chris Brady Tall Ships 6 March 25th 04 09:05 AM