posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships,uk.local.london
[email protected] bo_dacious@mactan.org is offline

Default Cutty Sark Ablaze - arson?

On 21 May 2007 02:28:21 -0700, CJB wrote:

The 137-year-old clipper was undergoing restoration work as sea salt
had accelerated the corrosion of the vessel's iron framework. It was
in dry dock and had been due to reopen in 2009.

However, around 50 per cent of the ship was not at the site because it
had been taken away for repair.

Chairman of Cutty Sark Enterprises, Chris Livett, believes she can be
fully restored. He said: "It will be the old ship. The ship has been
through many things in its lifetime. It has sailed the oceans of the
world, it has battled with nature through its life.

"This is going to make us even more determined to get this ship back
up and running and keep her as original as possible."

I have an 137 year old axe. It's had the head replaced 3 times and the
handle 5 times but we always tried to keep it as "original as
possible."