Chris Brady

Default Can they save the Cutty Sark?

Can they save the Cutty Sark?

Saving the Cutty Sark, BBC ONE (London), Monday 22 March, 11.15pm

The Cutty Sark is one of Britain's best loved ships, but she's
crumbling and in need of urgent renovation.

Now the trustees of the ship are risking all they have on an ambitious
plan to save her.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/insideldn/cutty_sark.shtml

Press Releases
Saving the Cutty Sark

Category : London
Date : 15.03.2004

The Cutty Sark, one of Britain's best loved ships, is crumbling and on
the verge of falling apart.

Her only hope of being saved is a ground breaking experiment that has
never been tried before. Can a top team of scientists rescue her from
destruction?

Since she arrived at her dry dock in 1954, the Cutty Sark has been one
of London's most extraordinary landmarks.

As the last surviving clipper built for the China Tea trade in 1869,
the Cutty Sark is also a major part of Britain's Maritime history.

For the last half century, she has played host to and delighted hoards
of visitors. She's a national treasure. But her days could be
numbered.

The Cutty Sark is corroding to such an extent that she won't last the
next 50 years without speedy intervention.

But they can't just take her apart, remove the corrosion and put her
back together again.

The Cutty Sark is the only ship to be Grade I listed.

So a team of scientists from the University of Portsmouth have been
brought in – and they think they have the answer.

By a process of electrochemistry, the team have already successfully
saved marine vessels such as the M33.

But the Cutty Sark is unique – it is a composite structure of iron and
wood, and this will be the first time that these techniques will be
used on a composite construction.

And it's not going to be easy. As the scientists work alongside the
ship's technical department, funding, leaks, and finding eco-friendly
preservatives are just some of the things that the team have to deal
with on the way.

This film will chart the history of this magnificent ship, reveal her
day to day life as a working museum, and follow the drama of the
cutting edge experimental process.

Can they save the Cutty Sark?

Saving the Cutty Sark, BBC ONE (London), Monday 22 March, 11.15pm

PRESS RELEASES BY :Category

Category : London
Date : 15.03.2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...tty_sark.shtml
Keelworm

Chris Brady wrote:

Can they save the Cutty Sark?

I hope so... visited her for the first time a couple of weeks ago, (shameful
as I live only 20 minutes away!) and signs of corrosion were all too
evident.

Unfortunately it is a sign of things going tits up... a national treasure
left too long with too little attention.

I dropped my tenner in the slot, so if another million or so of me felt the
same, they may have a bit of luck...

Ont the other hand... what's happening to Brighton peir these days, I last
photographed it looking forlorn with its tail in the sea, looking ever so
certainly beyond anyones wildest ideas of economic repair... Surely some of
the lottery funds earmarked for that project should be put back into the
pot for other causes to apply for?

PG.

--
ALTERNATIVE SAILING TERMS:
Sea monster:

# http://www.Love2Sail.co.uk - UK Sailing Forums#
# Moderated UK Coastal Sailing Discussion Group.#

Tony of Judicious

Keelworm wrote:

Ont the other hand... what's happening to Brighton peir these days, I last
photographed it looking forlorn with its tail in the sea, looking ever so
certainly beyond anyones wildest ideas of economic repair... Surely some of
the lottery funds earmarked for that project should be put back into the
pot for other causes to apply for?

PG.

I live just down the road from the West Pier. Lottery funding has been
withdrawn. I believe it was in the region of £15M.
Andy Champ

Chris Brady wrote:

Can they save the Cutty Sark?

Saving the Cutty Sark, BBC ONE (London), Monday 22 March, 11.15pm

Darn that might have been interesting. Given more than 45 minutes
notice here - and a listing in the Radio Times, which claims either "The
Shootist" or a programme about horse racing in the New Forest!

Andy

Tim

What would Greenwich do without the Cutty Sark? Use the dry dock for a
paddling pool? I used to pay my council taxes there and I would have
preferred the council contribute to the restoration than speed humps to slow
Mercedes 4x4's!

om...

Date : 15.03.2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre..._march/15/cutt
y_sark.shtml

Lou van Wijhe

"Tim" schreef in bericht

What would Greenwich do without the Cutty Sark? Use the dry dock for a
paddling pool? I used to pay my council taxes there and I would have
preferred the council contribute to the restoration than speed humps to

slow
Mercedes 4x4's!

Tim,

You are quite right. It is such a beautiful craft that even landlubbers from
the continent, like myself, would miss her. I purposely made a trip from
Holland to Greenwich twice just to gloat and take pictures. For those who
want to help, here is how: http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/donate.html
--
Lou van Wijhe

AntiSpam: Om me te mailen, plaats een punt tussen "van" en "wijhe"
AntiSpam: For mailing me put a full stop between "van" and "wijhe"