Dan Krueger

Default Trailer Hitch Questions

If the trailer is the proper size for the boat, maybe the boat is too far back? This will result in a tongue weight that is too light and the trailer will sway at highway speeds.

Dan

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:31:56 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

You should be more concerned that you:

-Have the right tow vehicle
-The boat is in the proper position on the trailer and well supported
-You have a spare tire (and hub)
-Existing hubs are full of grease
-You have transom tie downs
-Safety chains are all in place
-Trailer brakes are working properly
-Lights are all working

================================
Yes, I've done that, now looking for other things possibly overlooked.
One thing remaining is to take a run at interstate highway speed (60
to 65) and see if everything handles OK.

Lighting question: the trailer lights are relatively low to the
ground and tucked under the stern and swim platform. Do you think a
second set of temporary lights on the back of the swim platform would
be legal and/or a good idea?

Steve Barker

That won't help the coupler that is wearing about 4 times as much as the
ball. Seen them rub clear through. Always grease.

--
Steve
=======================
"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tony's right. No grease. It's not going to fall apart and new balls are

cheap when you need a replacement after 20 years.

Curtis CCR

"Steve Barker" wrote in message ...
That won't help the coupler that is wearing about 4 times as much as the
ball. Seen them rub clear through. Always grease.

Yeah. I don't understand the notion that lube is not necessary. When
you are talking 300# or more on the tongue - that's a lot of weight at
the coupling to be moving around dry. All that weight will be
grinding on a couple of square inches. Especially on a long trip, I'd
put some grease on it. I keep mine lubed for short trips and my
trailer barely puts 100# on the hitch.