Default Some interesting fuel consumption figures....

Hats off to a gutsy move by a major division of Brunswick. Once again
their annual product brochure frankly addresses a subject that most
builders would rather ignore and more than a few salespeople have
sugar coated over the years: Fuel consumption.

The 2007 versions of the engines used in their medium size cruisers
(36-48 feet) are reported thusly:

Cummins QSB 5.9 375HP configuration: Propshaft HP 364,
WOT 3000, Cruise 2800. GPH at WOT 19.9, GPH at cruise 15.6

Cummins QSB 5.9 420HP configuration: Propshaft HP 407, WOT 3000,
Cruise 2800. GPH at WOT 23.1, GPH at cruise 18.

Cummins QSC8.3 493HP configuration: Propshaft HP 478, WOT 2600,
Cruise 2600. GPH at WOT 26.6, GPH at cruise 20.3

Cummins QSC 8.3 533HP configuration: Propshaft HP 517,
WOT 2600, Cruise 2400. GPH at WOT 29.0, GPH at cruise 22.2

Cummins QSM11 660 HP configuration: Propshat HP 640,
WOT 2300, Cruise 2100. GPH at WOT 33.3, GPH at cruise 23.7

For gasoline engines:

Mercruiser 8.1S Horizon: Propshaft HP 370, WOT 4200-4600, Cruise 3250.
GPH WOT 29.5, GPH at cruise 16.0

Mercruiser 8.1S HO: Propshaft HP 420, WOT 4400-4800, Cruise 3500. GPH
WOT 33, GPH at cruise 18.5

Note: when I posted the version of this same info for either the 2005
or 2006 models several people who don't own any of these engines (and
had no actual technical frame of reference of any sort) all chimed in
to claim I was full of schlitz. Be aware that I am only passing along
some published information and not attempting to claim that I have
personally validated any of it. This information is presented as
possible fodder for discussion, not to facilitate a flame war.

On 19 Mar 2007 17:42:00 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Note: when I posted the version of this same info for either the 2005
or 2006 models several people who don't own any of these engines (and
had no actual technical frame of reference of any sort) all chimed in
to claim I was full of schlitz.

Not me, those numbers are very closely aligned with the prevailing
rules of thumb: 1 gph for every 10 hp gas, and 1 gph for every 20 hp
diesel. This assumes that rated hp is developed at WOT, and cruising
hp is related to the square of RPMs, e.g., 70 % of WOT = 49% of peak
hp.

It is important to note that your numbers are "per engine".

wrote:
Note: when I posted the version of this same info for either the 2005
or 2006 models several people who don't own any of these engines (and
had no actual technical frame of reference of any sort) all chimed in
to claim I was full of schlitz.

Not me, those numbers are very closely aligned with the prevailing
rules of thumb: *1 gph for every 10 hp gas, and 1 gph for every 20 hp
diesel. *This assumes that rated hp is developed at WOT, and cruising
hp is related to the square of RPMs, e.g., *70 % of WOT = 49% of peak
hp.

It is important to note that your numbers are "per engine".

Indeed. And all of this manufacturer's designs in the 36-48 foot
category are twin engines. With consumption on a pair of the larger
engines in the general range of 50-60 GPH and facing the almost
certain prospect of another summer of $4.50- $5.00 fuel dock prices
fuel consumption becomes a major consideration. The old saw that fuel
is so relatively inexpensive compared to the other aspects of boat
ownership that it shouldn't be a major consideration is a lot less
accurate than it once was.

On 19 Mar 2007 18:50:35 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

The old saw that fuel
is so relatively inexpensive compared to the other aspects of boat
ownership that it shouldn't be a major consideration is a lot less
accurate than it once was.

Depends on how you use the boat of course. If you're doing long
distance cruising it's very important, sitting at the dock as a party
boat, not so much. We've already done almost 1,000 miles this year
and will probably add another 3 or 4K by end of year. Even trawlers
get expensive at that rate.

wrote:

The old saw that fuel
is so relatively inexpensive compared to the other aspects of boat
ownership that it shouldn't be a major consideration is a lot less
accurate than it once was.

OUTBOARDS RULE!!!! :)

You know what's kind of interesting (not trying to get into the great
relative value debate) to me?

I'll bet I've seen at least 11 boats for sale on lawns that I've not
seen before. And they are all in the smallish, inboard gas powered
24/28 foot category type boats - lot of Bayliners, one or two Stamas
and one with twin 454 Crusaders.

Being nosey as I am, I've stopped a couple of places and the common
issue seems to be gas milage on boats. As in can't afford to run
them.

wrote:

The old saw that fuel
is so relatively inexpensive compared to the other aspects of boat
ownership that it shouldn't be a major consideration is a lot less
accurate than it once was.

OUTBOARDS RULE!!!! :)

You know what's kind of interesting (not trying to get into the great
relative value debate) to me?

I'll bet I've seen at least 11 boats for sale on lawns that I've not
seen before. And they are all in the smallish, inboard gas powered
24/28 foot category type boats - lot of Bayliners, one or two Stamas
and one with twin 454 Crusaders.

Being nosey as I am, I've stopped a couple of places and the common
issue seems to be gas milage on boats. As in can't afford to run
them.

But of course none of this has any impact on boat sales in the great
Pacific Northwest, where the summer boating season is one day long.

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you should subscribe to a source of information about boating in
the Northwest rather than making pronouncements showing your lack of
knowledge thereof.

Here, this may help:

Nor'westing Magazine
513 Bay St. #7
Port Orchard, WA 98366
Phone: 360-874-1992
Fax: 360-874-1987

Write them a letter, maybe they'll send you a copy.
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H

wrote:

The old saw that fuel
is so relatively inexpensive compared to the other aspects of boat
ownership that it shouldn't be a major consideration is a lot less
accurate than it once was.

OUTBOARDS RULE!!!! *:)

You know what's kind of interesting (not trying to get into the great
relative value debate) to me?

I'll bet I've seen at least 11 boats for sale on lawns that I've not
seen before. *And they are all in the smallish, inboard gas powered
24/28 foot category type boats - lot of Bayliners, one or two Stamas
and one with twin 454 Crusaders.

Being nosey as I am, I've stopped a couple of places and the common
issue seems to be gas milage on boats. *As in can't afford to run
them.

But of course none of this has any impact on boat sales in the great
Pacific Northwest, where the summer boating season is one day long.- Hide quoted text -

That would be perfect for you, Harry. Our one-day summer would
coincide nicely with your annual usage of the Yo-Ho.

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. I keep the cabin locked, and without that key and the ignition
key...you'd have no way to see the engine hour meter.

wrote:

[...]

* * * * * John H- Hide quoted text -

You googled up a really old addy and phone number.

I wouldn't normally volunteer contact info for our publication in the
NG, but since the door has been opened the info might as well be
correct.

For the last several years it has been:

PO Box 17002
Seattle, Wa 98127
206-216-0023 phone
206-216-0026 fax

Fuel saving tips Gould 0738 General 55 June 5th 04 11:54 PM
Interesting approach to leaking fuel tanks Gould 0738 General 10 May 29th 04 07:10 PM
What is your fuel consumption? Matt Lang General 30 May 27th 04 08:50 PM
Fuel transfer/polishing pump Doug Dotson Cruising 408 February 2nd 04 11:58 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM