Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Some interesting fuel consumption figures....

On Mar 19, 5:56�pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 19 Mar 2007 17:42:00 -0700, "Chuck Gould"

wrote:
Note: when I posted the version of this same info for either the 2005
or 2006 models several people who don't own any of these engines (and
had no actual technical frame of reference of any sort) all chimed in
to claim I was full of schlitz.

Not me, those numbers are very closely aligned with the prevailing
rules of thumb: *1 gph for every 10 hp gas, and 1 gph for every 20 hp
diesel. *This assumes that rated hp is developed at WOT, and cruising
hp is related to the square of RPMs, e.g., *70 % of WOT = 49% of peak
hp.

It is important to note that your numbers are "per engine".

Indeed. And all of this manufacturer's designs in the 36-48 foot
category are twin engines. With consumption on a pair of the larger
engines in the general range of 50-60 GPH and facing the almost
certain prospect of another summer of $4.50- $5.00 fuel dock prices
fuel consumption becomes a major consideration. The old saw that fuel
is so relatively inexpensive compared to the other aspects of boat
ownership that it shouldn't be a major consideration is a lot less
accurate than it once was.