Default Trailer Jack - How To Fix?

I was turning the manual jack on my boat trailer today when, as the
wheel was just about at the
bottom of the jack, I heard a snap (or something like that) and now
the jack doesn't work. This jack
isn't bolted onto the trailer- it's welded on. So I'd like to try to
fix it.

Does anyone know how to diagnose and fix trailer jacks?

I popped the top cover off the jack and saw the gears and the handle
inserted into the jack
through the side. It all turns fine, and there is plenty of grease.
So it must be somewhere
between those top gears and... I'm not sure!... where the problem
lies.

If I can't fix it, I'll just buy a $30 trailer jack and bolt it on!

Thanks!
David

On Feb 5, 1:01 am, wrote:
I was turning the manual jack on my boat trailer today when, as the
wheel was just about at the
bottom of the jack, I heard a snap (or something like that) and now
the jack doesn't work. This jack
isn't bolted onto the trailer- it's welded on. So I'd like to try to
fix it.

Does anyone know how to diagnose and fix trailer jacks?

I popped the top cover off the jack and saw the gears and the handle
inserted into the jack
through the side. It all turns fine, and there is plenty of grease.
So it must be somewhere
between those top gears and... I'm not sure!... where the problem
lies.

If I can't fix it, I'll just buy a $30 trailer jack and bolt it on!

You could have over run the ring gear on the gear shaft.

Try jacking up the trailer tongue about six inches, then pull
the shaft down while turning the handle - that might reengage
the ring gear.

Fixing the jack may be problematic. If the above doens't
work, leave the tongue jacked up and rotate the jack to
it's storage position. When it's in that position, try to
pull the inner shaft out. If you can, then you are well and
truly screwed.

den den is offline

As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor freight
outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make me
feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

"den" wrote in message
oups.com...

As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor freight
outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make me
feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freight jack, made from
badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

Tim Tim is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freight jack, made from
badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

I don't like buying forign products either, but they are good and
sturdy.

I have them on both of my boats. I'd rather pay double for US made,
but it seems they're just "not there" anymore.

Thats a big problem I have with the automotive parts industry
ingeneral.

It's getting more difficulty seemingly by the day to find US made
products. Come to think of it, it's getting more difficult by the year
to find 100% US made trucks and cars.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"den" wrote in message
oups.com...

As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor freight
outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make me
feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freight jack, made from
badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

They can not last any shorter than the expensive ones from West Marine.
They seem to make it about 2 years if you boat in salt water.

On Feb 5, 12:47 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"den" wrote in message
roups.com...

As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor freight
outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make me
feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freight jack, made from
badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

They can not last any shorter than the expensive ones from West Marine.
They seem to make it about 2 years if you boat in salt water.- Hide quoted text -

Six years for me on the Ranger and I boat in salt water all
the time.

Tim Tim is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freight jack, made from
badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

Then again, and even though different materials,

who made your computer, or the components therein?

wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:47 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"den" wrote in message
oups.com...

As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor

freight outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make

me feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freight jack,
made from badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

They can not last any shorter than the expensive ones from West
Marine. They seem to make it about 2 years if you boat in salt
water.- Hide quoted text -

Six years for me on the Ranger and I boat in salt water all
the time.

Check and see if there's a roll pin holding the top gear. you may have
sheared it. You'll probably have to remove the grease to see where it's
driven thru. If it is sheared drive it out and go to your local Ace
hardware and get a new one. Jim

The trailer was still on my truck, so the jack was suspended. I
applied
force with my foot while turning both ways, but it didn't move. I
probably
should try to really pull it hard while turning, but in effect, I did
try what
you said, hoping it would "catch" in some way.

There is no rotate up to storage position with this jack. I guess
it's
old school! But I know the type you're talking about, with the pin
and rotating on a central bolt.

Thanks for the ideas.

David

On Feb 5, 5:02 am, wrote:

[...]