Default Trailer Jack - How To Fix?

Thanks for the suggestion. What does (FWITIW mean?)

On Feb 5, 5:28 am, "den" wrote:
As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor freight
outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make me
feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

What is a roll pin? Maybe I can find a diagram on some web page.
Both the gears I could see turning when I had the top cap off, for
what it's worth.

David

Check and see if there's a roll pin holding the top gear. you may have
sheared it. You'll probably have to remove the grease to see where it's
driven thru. If it is sheared drive it out and go to your local Ace
hardware and get a new one. Jim

On Feb 5, 12:56 pm, "James" wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:47 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"den" wrote in message
roups.com...

As swsports said, F W I T I W, otherwise if there is a harbor
freight outlet in your town check them out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/htm...iate/home.taf?
acct=2001632
To find a store near you. I know they are in Az, and Cal.
They have weld on, and bolt on ones. Yep the welded on ones make
me feel more secure too. The bolt on for my 18ft bassboat broke.
Den 48YF

Good idea. Trust your boat & trailer to a Harbor Freightjack,
made from badly recycled Chinese pig iron.

They can not last any shorter than the expensive ones from West
Marine. They seem to make it about 2 years if you boat in salt
water.- Hide quoted text -

Six years for me on the Ranger and I boat in salt water all
the time.

Check and see if there's a roll pin holding the top gear. you may have
sheared it. You'll probably have to remove the grease to see where it's
driven thru. If it is sheared drive it out and go to your local Ace
hardware and get a new one. Jim

I pulled it all apart today - once I figured out the pin on the
vertical
gear wasn't a hex head but actually a pin and drove it out - and
realized
upon seeing how it all works that, yes, it's the roll pin on the
horizontal
gear that was sheared. So now the problem I'm facing is that the hole
for the pin is about 10% covered by the center bolt - I'll need to
somehow
"manually" twist that bolt to slightly lower the wheel, thus making
the pin
hole fully exposed. And I guess at this point, that hole has to
somehow
align with a slot in the jack body so that I can drive a new pin into
place.
I'll go to Ace tomorrow and see if I can find both pins - the pin on
the
vertical gear naturally fell through a crack down into the jack body
when
I knocked it out. So you were right, thanks, and now I know what you
mean by a roll pin.

David

wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:56 pm, "James" wrote:

[...]