posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Dry Suit Seals: Observation

I'm about to run out of 303 and have been obsessing lately about 303 vs McNett's
UV-Tech - since I hose down my seals with 303 fairly religiously and the folks
at OS Systems tout UV-Tech like it's almost essential to keep the seals going
for any reasonable length of time.

Happened to stop by a local dive shop today - to pick up a wet suit that needed
taking in.

Seeing maybe fifty rental dry suits hanging up in the shop, I asked the guy
there what kind of life he gets out of a set of seals and what they do to
mitigate wear.

The reply was "at least five years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

Hmmmm......
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

The reply was "at least five years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

I've expressed suspicion with these 303 type treatments in the past. I have had
a dry suit ($$$) with frequent application of 303 stored in the same closet as a
drytop ($) that never got 303. The untreated has outlasted the treated.

I have pair of pure latex overshoes that I've worn over dress shoes in the rain
for over two decades. Never treated with anything and they get _walked_on_ when
used. Still going strong.

Now I only use McNett's stuff sparingly on latex that's exposed to UV frequently
and not on any other latex. YMMV.

Mike
posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm about to run out of 303 and have been obsessing lately about 303 vs McNett's
UV-Tech - since I hose down my seals with 303 fairly religiously and the folks
at OS Systems tout UV-Tech like it's almost essential to keep the seals going
for any reasonable length of time.

Happened to stop by a local dive shop today - to pick up a wet suit that needed
taking in.

Seeing maybe fifty rental dry suits hanging up in the shop, I asked the guy
there what kind of life he gets out of a set of seals and what they do to
mitigate wear.

The reply was "at least five years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

Hmmmm......

There are reasons for this. The things that damage paddling dry suit
seals most are UV exposure and the combination of skin oil, sweat and
sunscreen that they are often exposed to. There is much less exposure to
all of these with dry suits used for diving.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Per Brian Nystrom:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

I'm glad I posted then.... Makes sense, but I never would have thought of it.

Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.paddle

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Seeing maybe fifty rental dry suits hanging up in the shop, I asked the guy
there what kind of life he gets out of a set of seals and what they do to
mitigate wear.

The reply was "at least 5 years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

Yes, rinsing in water is the next best thing to 303. I still think
303 has an advantage because it makes the latex slippery. Note that
most gaskets are torn when you get into your suit.

In the case of rental gear, you've gotta wonder how many times a year
the suits get rented. Probably not as much as I wear my drysuit.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Per Bill Tuthill:
In the case of rental gear, you've gotta wonder how many times a year
the suits get rented. Probably not as much as I wear my drysuit.

OTOH, on my old Bare Polar - which I retired to hanger in a closet after moving
to a Kokatat bag suit - the seals definitely didn't last 5 years, even in the
dark of the closet. The rubber just sort of melted.

I guess there are other factors, even in an inside storage area - like ozone,
temperature, and so-forth. Also, maybe the Bare's seal would still be with us
if I'd washed it thoroughly before hanging it up...
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm about to run out of 303 and have been obsessing lately about 303 vs McNett's
UV-Tech - since I hose down my seals with 303 fairly religiously and the folks
at OS Systems tout UV-Tech like it's almost essential to keep the seals going
for any reasonable length of time.

Happened to stop by a local dive shop today - to pick up a wet suit that needed
taking in.

Seeing maybe fifty rental dry suits hanging up in the shop, I asked the guy
there what kind of life he gets out of a set of seals and what they do to
mitigate wear.

The reply was "at least five years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

Hmmmm......

That's what I've been doing... And indeed, they last about that long.
Seems like you're paying for something that isn't needed. :-)

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Wilko wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm about to run out of 303 and have been obsessing lately about 303 vs McNett's
UV-Tech - since I hose down my seals with 303 fairly religiously and the folks
at OS Systems tout UV-Tech like it's almost essential to keep the seals going
for any reasonable length of time.

Happened to stop by a local dive shop today - to pick up a wet suit that needed
taking in.

Seeing maybe fifty rental dry suits hanging up in the shop, I asked the guy
there what kind of life he gets out of a set of seals and what they do to
mitigate wear.

The reply was "at least five years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

Hmmmm......

That's what I've been doing... And indeed, they last about that long.
Seems like you're paying for something that isn't needed. :-)

Maybe, but I just love the way 303 makes the latex gaskets all supple
and slippery! I smile every time I put my drysuit on after 303ing the
gaskets, and not just because I'm gonna go boating! :-)

And I didn't pay anything for my bottle of 303, per se! Got it with
Boater Bucks I got from NRS after buying my son a drysuit from there!
:-)

John Kuthe...

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Seeing maybe fifty rental dry suits hanging up in the shop, I asked the guy
there what kind of life he gets out of a set of seals and what they do to
mitigate wear.

The reply was "at least 5 years" and "nothing except rinse in plain water".

Yes, rinsing in water is the next best thing to 303. I still think
303 has an advantage because it makes the latex slippery. Note that
most gaskets are torn when you get into your suit.

You can make the suit easier to put on simply by powdering the inside of
the seals with talc.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Bill Tuthill:
In the case of rental gear, you've gotta wonder how many times a year
the suits get rented. Probably not as much as I wear my drysuit.

OTOH, on my old Bare Polar - which I retired to hanger in a closet after moving
to a Kokatat bag suit - the seals definitely didn't last 5 years, even in the
dark of the closet. The rubber just sort of melted.

That can happen. Latex seals that are allowed to fold over themselves
can stick together, too.

I guess there are other factors, even in an inside storage area - like ozone,
temperature, and so-forth.

Ozone is definitely an issue with latex, but I don't think temp matters
much except perhaps if it's extremely hot.

Also, maybe the Bare's seal would still be with us
if I'd washed it thoroughly before hanging it up...

Perhaps, but I rinse my dry suit, dry tops and dry glove after every use
and the seals still only last 3 years or so.