posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Bag Dry Suit: How Dry?

I've been using a Kokatat GoreTex bag suit this year.

It's definitely got it's good points, but for my use dry doesn't seem tb one of
them.

After a typical hour of fairly hard flat water paddling, my shirt undergarment
picks up about 400 grams of water. That's fairly wet - almost dripping.

I layed the suit out on the ground, elevating the neck/wrist seals and puddled a
few cups of water on the back - with some newspaper inside. *Seems* like it's
not leaking through the material - at least on the back, and the back is
definitely one of the wettest parts of the shirt when I take it off.

I guess another possible entry point would be the neck seal. But I'm pretty
sure I've picked up this kind of water even with the neck never getting
immersed.

It's nothing I can't live with for an hour or two of paddling... but everybody
seems to rave so much about how dry their dry suits are that it's got me
wondering.

So: if you wear a bag suit, how much water do you typically wind up shipping?

I'm thinking that GoreTex has it's limits for transmitting moisture and what I'm
seeing is just plain old sweat.... But I've got to wonder why my legs aren't
similarly affected.
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.paddle

That does seem odd. I used to sweat buckets in my old non-breathable dry
top, I expected to, when I went to a newer Mountain Surf breathable (not
sure what the breathable material is), I no longer have this problem. That
said, I understand they need some type of special cleaning with age to
unclog the pores? Wish I knew more

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'm thinking that GoreTex has it's limits for transmitting moisture and what I'm
seeing is just plain old sweat.... But I've got to wonder why my legs aren't
similarly affected.

I have the same thing happening - it is just sweat. You say you are paddling
hard - your upper body is going to generate a lot of heat and therefore
perspiration as a result. Like you, I get more sweat on my upper body than my legs.

There are several factors that contribute to this. Your leg muscles are not
working as hard as your upper body and don't generate as much heat. Your upper
body may be covered more - spray skirt, PFD etc reduce the ability of the suit
to breathe, while your legs are not so affected. You paddle a SOT, right?, so
your legs are more likely to breathe than your torso - mind you, you don't have
a skirt to add to the problem. If your paddling dry suit has a sprayskirt
tunnel, that also reduces breathability (two layers of Gore Tex). As you say,
there is a limit as to how fast the suit can remove water vapour. If you are
producing sweat faster than it can evaporate off your skin and that in turn is
faster than the Gore Tex can breathe, you're going to get wet.

Gore Tex is great but it's not magic. Wearing two layers of wicking materials
works for me at keeping the sweat off my skin and it tends to dry out during
lunch breaks etc. However, that's a cold weather solution and if you're
paddling in a warmer clime, two layers may be too hot.

Drysuits have a harder time with salt water than fresh. You may need to touch
up the DWR to keep the salt off. Make sure you rinse the suit out well after a
paddle and keep it clean - follow the manufacturer's instructions. That will
keep the Gore Tex at its best.

Mike
posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've been using a Kokatat GoreTex bag suit this year.

After a typical hour of fairly hard flat water paddling, my shirt undergarment
picks up about 400 grams of water. That's fairly wet - almost dripping.

Are you wearing a PFD? Goretex doesn't breathe as well with 1" of foam
strapped over it, in my experience.

Steve
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Per Steve Cramer:
Are you wearing a PFD? Goretex doesn't breathe as well with 1" of foam
strapped over it, in my experience.

I've done it both ways. Been wet both ways, but didn't bother to compare the
shirt weights.

Sweat's sounding like the explanation to me.

Especially because of the smell of my inner layer - Whew!!!!!!

I can usually get away with wearing a biking shirt a couple of times between
washes, but the Capeline shirt/long johns that I wear next to my skin definitely
have tb washed after every use.
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Especially because of the smell of my inner layer - Whew!!!!!!

Switch to Icebreaker! It doesn't absorb odor, is all natural and
breathes much better than synthetics. Plus, it can absorb some water
without feeling wet against your skin.

www.icebreaker.com check it out!

Yes it is pricey but it is work every penny!!

posted to rec.boats.paddle

wrote:
Especially because of the smell of my inner layer - Whew!!!!!!

Switch to Icebreaker! It doesn't absorb odor, is all natural and
breathes much better than synthetics. Plus, it can absorb some water
without feeling wet against your skin.

www.icebreaker.com check it out!

Yes it is pricey but it is work every penny!!

Smartwool is similar and readily available in the US.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

It's sweat, plain and simple. The difference between a Gore-Tex (or
other breathable material) suit and a non-breathable suit is:

- You'd get even wetter in a non-breathable suit.
- You'll dry out in a breathable suit when your effort level drops or
you take a lunch break.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Just for fun and kicks - try putting on a clean, dry long sleeve shirt
and long pants (cotton is good for this test; try white, khaki or
denim) then put on the dry drysuit making sure the seals completely
touch your skin at all points. Jump in the water and thrash around a
bit. You'll find out soon if there are leaks and if you dry off the
suit before taking it off you should find out where water is
transferring, if anywhere.

You'll also get some interesting bystander looks.

Bag Dry Suit: Pants/Shirt Underneath? (PeteCresswell) General 7 October 20th 06 06:09 AM
Wet suit as foul weather gear Howard Peer Cruising 30 May 20th 05 01:06 PM
New survival suit Gordon Cruising 3 April 18th 05 01:30 AM
who make the best cold water immersion suit ? LaBomba182 Cruising 5 September 30th 04 07:20 AM
For Sale: Dry suit bottoms Graeme Dods UK Paddle 0 August 7th 03 02:09 PM