Default Gasoline prices..............

Calif Bill wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:rPTph.34$My1.33@trndny03...
JimH wrote:
......going down. Under $2/gallon on the street at some places here.

Election time must be coming up...........oops..........that happened
last November. ;-)

For Chuck:......gasoline - boats.........gasoline - tow vehicles. Just a
preemptive strike to keep the head sheriff from interrogating me. ;-)

$2.79 here, it's a bargain though, just wait a decade or two.

Lowering the price is easy, just use less of it, nobody is forcing anyone
to buy gas.

Work and life forces people to buy gas. If we had built lots of nuclear
plants over the last 20 years, our demand on foreign oil would be almost
zero. Thank a lot of the enviros for the oil problems.

And don't forget to thank Three Mile *ISLAND* (boating tie-in for
JimH) and that catastrophic meltdown in Russia for demonstrating that
nuclear power has some very scary aspects attached. Can you name even
one state that is willing to accept the nuclear waste
generated anywhere else? Does it make sense to manufacture something
that will be immensely deadly for tens of thousands of years after its
brief initial productive use? We've got a case of creeping death over
in Eastern Wa right this very minute. Failing containment tanks on the
Hanford Nuclear Reservation are allowing radioactive waste to migrate
toward a nearby watershed and could potentially render much of the
North Pacific unusable as a source or food for human beings. Send a few
hundred tankers up from California if you think nuclear waste is no big
deal. We'll fill em up for you, free of charge. :-)

At one time, we almost had a series of nuclear plants built here in
Washington State. Known as the WPPS (or "woops" project). The project
went into default, and cost a lot of bondholders a bunch of dough. The
facts are the the project didn't fail due to "enviro" opposition, but
rather because it became apparent that when the projects were completed
they would not be able to produce electricity at a competitive price.

I'm pretty "green", without being ridiculous about it. I think we need
to make prudent use of our natural resources, including oil. We own a
hybrid car and one 4-cylinder conventional.
We endeavor to not use energy foolishly, and will turn the heat and
lights off when we leave the house for even a few hours. However, we do
own a boat....... and nobody who owns a boat that doesn't rely strictly
upon sails or oars can get too far up on a high horse regarding the
careful use of fossil fuel.

JimH wrote:
[...]

Hey Chuck, your three mile island and chernobyl comparisons are crap. Just
ask the French, who somehow manage to get about 80% of their energy from
nuke power.
***** Have a super day! *****

John H
Tim Tim is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
Can you name even
one state that is willing to accept the nuclear waste generated anywhere else?

Jersey?

Dan Dan is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:51:25 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Funny how big business works. In my small business, I'm the LAST one to get
paid.

I've been working with a guy I've known for years - he started up a
mechanical engineering/machine shop that does custom fittings and
highly specialized machined parts for all kinds of industries. He has
some metallurgical expertise that's hard to find and some machinists
who are absolute geniuses with a CNC machine.

He pays himself $1 more than the highest paid employee he has.

The problem is that he is the business owner. I could pay myself $8.00
and hour but, at the end of the year, my personal income tax bill would
be well over $100K if I took my profit as retained earnings. He's
probably an S-corp, too so if he's profitable, the money has to go
somewhere.

JohnH wrote:

Hey Chuck, your three mile island and chernobyl comparisons are crap. Just
ask the French, who somehow manage to get about 80% of their energy from
nuke power.
***** Have a super day! *****

John H

What's this? Are the French suddenly back on the good guy side of the
ledger? :-)

Two comments:

1. What do the do with the waste? Is it really all that safe, or have
they luckily so far avoided paying the piper?

2. Until we invent cars, trucks, trains, and BOATS that run efficiently
on electricity and storage batteries we will still need to import most
of our energy for transportation needs. I don't think we burn that muh
crude oil to generate electricity as it is.

The problem is that he is the business owner. I could pay myself $8.00
and hour but, at the end of the year, my personal income tax bill would
be well over $100K if I took my profit as retained earnings. He's
probably an S-corp, too so if he's profitable, the money has to go
somewhere.

The money probably goes back into the business. Good CNC machines can
get extremely expensive very quickly and shops need to keep adding more
machines as they grow and upgrading older machines to compete with
everyone else.
Tim Tim is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
1. What do the do with the waste? Is it really all that safe, or have
they luckily so far avoided paying the piper?

Sell it to Iran or N. Korea?

On 12 Jan 2007 19:16:46 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

Hey Chuck, your three mile island and chernobyl comparisons are crap. Just
ask the French, who somehow manage to get about 80% of their energy from
nuke power.
***** Have a super day! *****

John H

What's this? Are the French suddenly back on the good guy side of the
ledger? :-)

Two comments:

1. What do the do with the waste? Is it really all that safe, or have
they luckily so far avoided paying the piper?

2. Until we invent cars, trucks, trains, and BOATS that run efficiently
on electricity and storage batteries we will still need to import most
of our energy for transportation needs. I don't think we burn that muh
crude oil to generate electricity as it is.

But we do burn a lot of natural gas, which is home grown, and could be used
to power many of the vehicles you mention.

As to waste, go read this:

http://russp.org/nucfacts.html

It's not overly long.
***** Have a super day! *****

John H

Dan wrote:

[...]

There is a simple reason for this.

Wages are subject to FICA taxes up to around 95k a year, and there is no
limit to the Medicare Tax.

By taking a reasonable wage, and then taking the rest of business
profits as dividends, you legally avoid paying the addiontal taxes.