Default How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt?

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
Clams Canino wrote:
I wanna know how you broke *three*.
I mean - after you broke one... didn't a clue rake at least try to hit
you
over the head about the rest of them?

Actually, I could have broken all four -- instead of merely three. I
must have come to my sense when I was bearing down on the 4th bolt.

I have a tendency to over-doing anything (such as running my knee to
the point that I needed to have a surgery done on my knee). And
tightening up the bolts too much is one of my tendency. That was the
reason why I bought a torque wrench hoping that using the torque wrench
will prevent me from over-torquing the bolts. Unfortunately, I mistook
60-inch-pounds with 60-feet-pounds, and I ended up over-torquing the
bolts by 12 times. And the fact that the torque wrench that I use is
quite big (designed more for higher torque such as for torquing the
propeller); therefore, I didn't get a good feel of the tension. I have
ordered a 1/4" torque wrench that is designed for lower torque (such as
60-inch-pounds); hopefully, this will prevent me from making a similar
mistake.

Jay Chan

Look at the bright side. You are going to have a very well stocked tool box
by the time you are finished with this project. :-)

Eisboch

yes, but will he know how to use any of them.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Clams Canino wrote:
[...]

Buy a hammer impact tool. And then make sure the socket you use does not
bottom on the case. That way you get twisting and an impact lengthwise at
the same time. Was the only thing that got aluminum screws out of a
Kawasaki engine case with out stripping the heads.

wrote:
Call around to hardware stores and ask if they sell spiral screw
extractors.
Before you jump in the car, measure the diameter of the bolt shafts you
need
to remove. And, if you know the socket size that fits the heads, write
that
down too.
I tried that already. Either it didn't work or I went too easy on the
hammer. Anyway, it could not grab the bolt and could not spin the bolt
out. I attempted to drill one of the broken bolt away. But this
simply messed up the thread in one of the hole.

Hammer????????

Do you mean I am not supposed to use a hammer to work with the screw
extractor? I am under the impression that I am supposed to drill a
hole in the middle of the borken bolt, and hammer the screw extractor
down into the hole, and then use some kind of handle bar to lock on the
screw extractor and turn counter clockwise, and hopefully the screw
will back out. This was exactly what the owner of the hardware store
told me to do.

May be we are talking about two different types of screw extractors?
May be you are referring to the type that is like a drill bit, and we
are supposed to use it with a power drill (running in reverse) to dill
and back off the bolt? I could not use that type because the bolt was
sunken inside a small hole that the special drill bit was too large to
fit inside.

Jay Chan

The one I have seen had reversed threads so as you screwed it in, it
unscrewed the bolt

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

This is the type I was talking about. No hammer is used. The flutes of the
tool are deep enough that they grip without having to be forced into place.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/extractr.html

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
. net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Gene Kearns wrote:
snip...

This is a *BIG* hot button for me, but this is endemic of no longer
teaching real Industrial Arts in our public schools. Higher education,
from mechanic programs, to engineering programs, to medical programs
all suffer from incoming students that have, in too many cases, never
even held a tool in their hands..... and in almost all cases, save
some rural areas, lack any real experience in using tools or in
dealing with the logic required of fixing everyday items that need
repair or adjustment.....
--

You got that right!
When my two sons were in jr high, they had to take homemaking courses

So you figure the women will be the kitchen slave. Not much more pathetic
than a guy who has to go to Burger King because he can not cook anything!

Even dumber: Guys in college who didn't know how to operate a washing
machine.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
. net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

Stainless steel DOES react with aluminum but I am not sure what to do
about it. There is a material you can buy at marine stores to separate
ss parts from Aluminum but am not sure if this is used on bolts.

Calif Bill wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

No kitchen slave... just don't think our kids should be girliemen ,
like that California crowd.

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...

Clams Canino wrote:

[...]

Wonder where he lives? Maybe he'd loan out those tools on occasion.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ps.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
. net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

It is called anti-seize. And the best for aluminum is Nevr-seize.

"Don White" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

And how is he to be a manly man, when he can not man the BBQ?

removing a bolt (from an old evinrude) [email protected] General 3 September 25th 06 01:41 AM
what type of keel bolt should you in wood boat and iron keel Don Boat Building 5 October 2nd 05 08:57 PM
PB Blaster Gogarty Cruising 8 September 7th 05 03:13 AM
keel bolt broken 75 hunter James O'Brien Boat Building 1 July 7th 04 02:54 AM
removing corrosion William G. Andersen General 12 June 11th 04 06:25 PM