Default How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt?

Frogwatch wrote:
Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Clams Canino" wrote
I wanna know how you broke *three*.
I mean - after you broke one... didn't a clue rake at least try to hit you
over the head about the rest of them?

Not to jump on the jump-on-Jay bandwagon (he's got enough trouble with his
broken bolts already), but wasn't he the guy who asked what the difference
is between foot pounds and inch pounds a while back?

Good Lord, give him credit for trying to do his own work. So he makes
expensive mistakes, I bet he learns from them. I have managed to break
5 drill bits in rapid succession.
Now, If I remember, there are special tools for removing broken bits or
taps. I suggest he look into a tool catalogue such as McMaster-Carr or
MSC.

I have several tiny hardened end mills from MSC. They are no wider
than a screwdriver blade and cost about $20 each and I have used them
for such tasks to get down into a bolt hole (using the dremel tool) to
make a screwdriver slot. You can also use the tiny diamond burr with
th dremel to make a "dent" atop the broken bolt for the drill bit to
start on when you drill it out.

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
"Clams Canino" wrote
I wanna know how you broke *three*.
I mean - after you broke one... didn't a clue rake at least try to hit
you
over the head about the rest of them?

Not to jump on the jump-on-Jay bandwagon (he's got enough trouble with his
broken bolts already), but wasn't he the guy who asked what the difference
is between foot pounds and inch pounds a while back?

Yes. Excellent question. However, I also agree with Frogwatch. You just have
to develop a feel for how much force things are able to take, and where the
gotchas are hiding. Try telling a 17 year old "With some screws, you want to
gently turn them in backwards until you feel or hear a click, or you'll
strip the threads". Mine said "Well, how do you know which screws?" I really
couldn't tell him, except to say that the higher the price of the thing
you're trying to fix, the more likely it is that you'll have a problem. :-)

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

True story. In high school autoshop, yes we used to have those, the grounds
keepers for the sports field had their tractor in and were replacing a
muffler. The gardener asked how tight to make the nuts. Someone in the
class yelled out, "run it down until you hear a crack and then back of a 1/2
turn.". Everybody in the shop heard the crack as the U clamp broke. Class
went in to hysterics.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

Good Lord, give him credit for trying to do his own work. So he makes
expensive mistakes, I bet he learns from them. I have managed to break
5 drill bits in rapid succession.

Not bolts...... I broke a head bolt on a Honda 50 when I was 12.....
not TWO head bolts.

-W

Clams Canino wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

Good Lord, give him credit for trying to do his own work. So he makes
expensive mistakes, I bet he learns from them. I have managed to break
5 drill bits in rapid succession.

Not bolts...... I broke a head bolt on a Honda 50 when I was 12.....
not TWO head bolts.

-W

I hate to say this, but from the questions Jay was asking in other
threads, it was obvious this would be the results. Since Jay likes to
do some of the basic work himself, he needs to find a shade tree
mechanic who will help him with some basics, such as telling the
difference between foot/lbs and inch/lbs. As long as he is doing "on
the job training" and is using rec.boats as his tutor, he will continue
to have problems.

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
Clams Canino wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

Good Lord, give him credit for trying to do his own work. So he makes
expensive mistakes, I bet he learns from them. I have managed to break
5 drill bits in rapid succession.

Not bolts...... I broke a head bolt on a Honda 50 when I was 12.....
not TWO head bolts.

-W

I hate to say this, but from the questions Jay was asking in other
threads, it was obvious this would be the results. Since Jay likes to do
some of the basic work himself, he needs to find a shade tree mechanic who
will help him with some basics, such as telling the difference between
foot/lbs and inch/lbs. As long as he is doing "on the job training" and
is using rec.boats as his tutor, he will continue to have problems.

I wonder if he's using tools too large for certain jobs. I mean, sometimes
you just look at a bolt and you know if you use an extra large ratchet
handle (breaker bar??) as a substitute for more muscle, it's going to cause
problems. Or, you can't access a bolt at the correct angle and end up
stripping the head. My car mechanic actually likes having certain customers
hanging out nearby so when he's bitching about a stuck or inaccessible bolt,
he's got someone to complain to. This is where I learned that it often makes
sense to remove "thing #1" in order to get a better angle for removing
"thing #2", even if the manual says you shouldn't have to touch thing #1.

More coffee....

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 04:35:50 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

[...]

Now *that* was funny!!

Gene Kearns wrote:
snip...

This is a *BIG* hot button for me, but this is endemic of no longer
teaching real Industrial Arts in our public schools. Higher education,
from mechanic programs, to engineering programs, to medical programs
all suffer from incoming students that have, in too many cases, never
even held a tool in their hands..... and in almost all cases, save
some rural areas, lack any real experience in using tools or in
dealing with the logic required of fixing everyday items that need
repair or adjustment.....
--

You got that right!
When my two sons were in jr high, they had to take homemaking courses

"Don White" wrote in message
Gene Kearns wrote:
snip...

This is a *BIG* hot button for me, but this is endemic of no longer
teaching real Industrial Arts in our public schools. Higher education,
from mechanic programs, to engineering programs, to medical programs
all suffer from incoming students that have, in too many cases, never
even held a tool in their hands..... and in almost all cases, save
some rural areas, lack any real experience in using tools or in
dealing with the logic required of fixing everyday items that need
repair or adjustment.....
--

You got that right!
When my two sons were in jr high, they had to take homemaking courses half
the year and shop the other half. The pc crowd decided that the girls
whould have equal time hammering, cutting etc. while the boys learned
baking, etc.

There are few things more pathetic than a man who cannot project power in
the kitchen, especially if he's over the age of maybe 25. If the homemaking
courses were formulated by Emeril Lagasse, I'd be impressed.

removing a bolt (from an old evinrude) [email protected] General 3 September 25th 06 01:41 AM
what type of keel bolt should you in wood boat and iron keel Don Boat Building 5 October 2nd 05 08:57 PM
PB Blaster Gogarty Cruising 8 September 7th 05 03:13 AM
keel bolt broken 75 hunter James O'Brien Boat Building 1 July 7th 04 02:54 AM
removing corrosion William G. Andersen General 12 June 11th 04 06:25 PM