Default Boating Mishaps

Anyone recognize themselves here?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo08eSb09bQ

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:44:54 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Anyone recognize themselves here?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo08eSb09bQ

Ahem....

Er...no? :)

Loved the one where the guy brought the shark into the boat. Reminds
me of the time where some guys fishing South of me off Block Island at
SW Ledge caught a 200 plus mako. Brought the fish up to the boat, the
damn thing jumped straight up into the air and into the cockpit of the
center console.

It was pretty funny watching those guys hang off the T-Top screaming
like little girls. :)

Great advertisement for PFD's though huh.

Twice when out sailing on the Mirage 33 with only the skipper, he would
do the same crazy thing. As we came back to our slip at the Squadron,
I'd step off the boat midship to tie up. He would abandon the helm and
*jump* off the boat to help.
If I was on the bow line.. his jumping would push the stern away from
the slip and heading for the neighboring boat.
He would frantically hold onto the life line calling me to hold onto him
as the wind pushed the 9500 lb boat slowly away.
I rushed to the other boat to try and fend off the Mirage.
The skipper would end up in the drink and I'd have to fish him out.
I then figured out that I'd insist that he stayed put on the boat until
I had the aft spring line belayed to the midship cleat. Then I'd attach
the forward spring line and finally the bowline and stern line.
No more swimming for the skipper.

wrote:

Anyone recognize themselves here?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo08eSb09bQ

Ouch! Ouch!

Thanks. Now I feel better that I'm not the only one.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
Anyone recognize themselves here?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo08eSb09bQ

Yeah, three times in the last two years. But the 8ft, head first fall from
the pier into the rocks below, was the one that damn near killed me.

Tom G.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:20:25 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

Yeah, three times in the last two years. But the 8ft, head first fall from
the pier into the rocks below, was the one that damn near killed me.

Ouch. You should stop doing that.

:-)

"Tom G" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
Anyone recognize themselves here?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo08eSb09bQ

Yeah, three times in the last two years. But the 8ft, head first fall
from the pier into the rocks below, was the one that damn near killed me.

Tom G.

You have to elaborate on that story!

BTW: I took my biannual plunge off the dock this year......slipped while
getting off and dropped between the dock and the boat. The water was only 3
1/2 feet deep but the bottom was mucky.

" JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote in message
. ..

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
Anyone recognize themselves here?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo08eSb09bQ

Yeah, three times in the last two years. But the 8ft, head first fall
from the pier into the rocks below, was the one that damn near killed me.

Tom G.

You have to elaborate on that story!

BTW: I took my biannual plunge off the dock this year......slipped while
getting off and dropped between the dock and the boat. The water was only
3 1/2 feet deep but the bottom was mucky.

Just put in the first two piers. Still had two more sections and ramp to
add but I decided after dark to go down and do a little fishing. Just as I
was stepping from top pier to second, I remembered that I hadn't yet put in
steps to account for the two foot difference in levels. Fell forward,
bounced off the second pier and went head first the last 8ft to the river
bank. Managed to get back up the 50ft to the top of the hill and thought I
would clean up and go to bed. Middle of night, everything from my neck to
my waist went into spasm. Had to have the EMTs come haul me to the
hospital. After many tests, it was determined that I hadn't broke anything
but had sprained all the muscles from head to waist.
I had landed on the back of my neck and so knocked the breath out of
myself, that I was sure I had broken my neck or back. Couldn't breath or
call out for help for about 5 minutes. Now, I have to tell my wife if I'm
going down to the river or out on the boat by myself. And I wear a life
jacket whenever I'm close enough to the water to fall in and not walk out.

Tom G

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:51:28 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

Just as I
was stepping from top pier to second, I remembered that I hadn't yet put in
steps to account for the two foot difference in levels. Fell forward,
bounced off the second pier and went head first the last 8ft to the river
bank.

Lucky you're still here...

My most recent accidental swim was last year in Baltimore. Somehow I
mis-stepped going from the swim platform to the dock and ended up in
the drink. Still don't know exactly how it happened other than an
obvious failure to pay attention at a critical juncture.

My wife and I pulled a classic three stooges act many years ago and we
both went in. We were carrying a sailboat mast down an L shaped dock
with a piling at the L. Which ever one of us was in the lead made the
turn too fast, the mast sproinged off the piling and flipped us both
in the water. Fortunately there were no cameras around, and the mast
landed on the dock undamaged.

I can remember several dock parties where people have gone in after
enjoying the festivities a little too much.

We also had a woman knocked unconcious at my club in Connecticut a
number of years ago. She slipped getting off of her boat at the
mooring and fell between the rail and the club launch boat.

the mast sproinged off the piling and flipped us both
in the water.

Oh man, I'm laughin' so hard it hurts! Good one!

BTW: I took my biannual plunge off the dock this year......slipped while
getting off and dropped between the dock and the boat. The water was only

3
1/2 feet deep but the bottom was mucky.

Heh, started the season off right this year by taking a swim at the fuel
dock back in April.

While reaching over to tie off a stern line it was like "hey, where'd that
piling go?" Ker-splash.

Group claims PWC sales up, accidents down, and gas prices not reducing boating activity Chuck Gould General 0 August 31st 06 11:38 PM
Safer Boating RT Cruising 5 April 27th 06 11:55 AM
Boating Safer RT General 0 April 26th 06 05:05 PM