Default The jungle drums...

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

That performance was completed several hours ago and was repeated many times
throughout the day. Sorry you missed them. ;-)

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 19 Oct 2006 15:21:04 -0700, wrote:

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

Sadly, it's been done.

maybe so, but it wasn't MY bass solo!

RATS!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:39:42 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..
On 19 Oct 2006 15:21:04 -0700, wrote:

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

Sadly, it's been done.

And just so we can keep this legal, jungles generally have rivers,
rivers generally have boats.

Along with drums.

----------------
Disclaimer: This is a boating post and applies to boaters. It is not
intended to provoke, annoy, irritate, bother, aggravate, anger,incite,
inflame, infuriate or create controversy resulting in unacceptable
behavior on the part of other posters nor is it intended to generate
political commentary or off-topic debate.

You are right. I remember when we were in the Amazon a couple of years
ago,
they called us to dinner via jungle drum. Was actually a very cool drum.
Have to look though the old pictures and post. Was a large section of
log,
with slots and a hollowed out area. Very mello tone that carried a long
way. But maybe because we were next to the Amazon where it is a mile
wide,
and 1100 miles from the head waters and 2300 miles from the ocean, and
dugout canoes we got to ride in (besides large aluminum outboards) it just
seemed cool.

Drums are an interesting form of communication. I read something a
few years ago, I wish I could remember what the title of the book was,
about ferry boats along Lake Champlain. They used a really
interesting form of propulsion - it was like a giant hamster wheel
laid flat and they used draft horses to propel the paddles. They also
had a treadmill deal on a leather belt/pulley system.

Anyway, they used drums to notify the other side of the lake or
opposite ferry landing to ask for the ferry to return.

It was interesting - now I have to go look in my library for that
book.

DAMN YOU BILL - DAMN YOU TO....

Ah never mind..

----------------
Disclaimer: This is a boating post and applies to boaters. It is not
intended to provoke, annoy, irritate, bother, aggravate, anger,incite,
inflame, infuriate or create controversy resulting in unacceptable
behavior on the part of other posters nor is it intended to generate
political commentary or off-topic debate.

Another interesting ferry boat fact. When we were up in Alaska, we learned
that the big Yukon paddle wheel river boats burned 5-9 cords of wood an
hour. There were wood camps about every 40-50 miles on the river and the
wood was loaded aboard via hand trucks. The smaller river boats only burned
3-5 cords an hour. Imagine being the fire tender on that boat?

The jungle drums... basskisser General 3 October 20th 06 01:32 AM
Scout beats up the drums Scout ASA 10 June 28th 06 12:06 AM
FA: Steel drums on ebay - ends today - Double Seconds [email protected] General 2 February 22nd 06 11:25 PM
FA: closing in a few hours - Steel Drums Double Seconds Da Kine ASA 0 February 22nd 06 04:04 PM
Miami Parks hostile to kayakers DonQuijote1954 Touring 60 December 2nd 04 07:56 PM