BoatBanter.com

-   -   The jungle drums... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/75130-re-jungle-drums.html)

[email protected] October 19th 06 11:21 PM

The jungle drums...

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

JimH October 19th 06 11:27 PM

The jungle drums...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

That performance was completed several hours ago and was repeated many times
throughout the day. Sorry you missed them. ;-)

[email protected] October 19th 06 11:56 PM

The jungle drums...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 19 Oct 2006 15:21:04 -0700, wrote:

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

Sadly, it's been done.

maybe so, but it wasn't MY bass solo!

RATS!

Calif Bill October 20th 06 12:39 AM

The jungle drums...

On 19 Oct 2006 15:21:04 -0700, wrote:

Tom Francis wrote:
are silent.

This is not a good sign. :)

I know, I know.

Next comes the bass solo!

Sadly, it's been done.

And just so we can keep this legal, jungles generally have rivers,
rivers generally have boats.

Along with drums.

----------------
Disclaimer: This is a boating post and applies to boaters. It is not
intended to provoke, annoy, irritate, bother, aggravate, anger,incite,
inflame, infuriate or create controversy resulting in unacceptable
behavior on the part of other posters nor is it intended to generate
political commentary or off-topic debate.

You are right. I remember when we were in the Amazon a couple of years ago,
they called us to dinner via jungle drum. Was actually a very cool drum.
Have to look though the old pictures and post. Was a large section of log,
with slots and a hollowed out area. Very mello tone that carried a long
way. But maybe because we were next to the Amazon where it is a mile wide,
and 1100 miles from the head waters and 2300 miles from the ocean, and
dugout canoes we got to ride in (besides large aluminum outboards) it just
seemed cool.

Calif Bill October 20th 06 01:38 AM

The jungle drums...

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:39:42 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..

Tom Francis wrote:
[...]

Drums are an interesting form of communication. I read something a
few years ago, I wish I could remember what the title of the book was,
about ferry boats along Lake Champlain. They used a really
interesting form of propulsion - it was like a giant hamster wheel
laid flat and they used draft horses to propel the paddles. They also
had a treadmill deal on a leather belt/pulley system.

Anyway, they used drums to notify the other side of the lake or
opposite ferry landing to ask for the ferry to return.

It was interesting - now I have to go look in my library for that
book.

DAMN YOU BILL - DAMN YOU TO....

Ah never mind..

----------------
Disclaimer: This is a boating post and applies to boaters. It is not
intended to provoke, annoy, irritate, bother, aggravate, anger,incite,
inflame, infuriate or create controversy resulting in unacceptable
behavior on the part of other posters nor is it intended to generate
political commentary or off-topic debate.

Another interesting ferry boat fact. When we were up in Alaska, we learned
that the big Yukon paddle wheel river boats burned 5-9 cords of wood an
hour. There were wood camps about every 40-50 miles on the river and the
wood was loaded aboard via hand trucks. The smaller river boats only burned
3-5 cords an hour. Imagine being the fire tender on that boat?