Default What to do with old gas?

So I recently acquired a 1965 Bayliner 19', I already know I have a huge
project ahead of me but before I can go much further, the fuel tank is
*full* of gas which has been sitting in there for over 4 years. There
was a bottle of stabilizer among the assorted crap in the boat but I'm
guessing this stuff must be far too old to run in a motor. How do I get
rid of it? There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

The cleanest way to dispose of it is to burn it in "something".
Siphon at least 15 gallons of it out into three 5 gallon cans.

Then use it in the lawnmower (50/50 with real gas) or add it slowly to the
car or back into the boat... always making sure it's no more than 15% of the
fuel supply. And make sure it's CLEAN before using it in anything.

I've run into a lot of "free gas" that way. Just use it SLOWLY.

The little oil (50/1) mixed in won't hurt anything.

-W

"James Sweet" wrote in message
So I recently acquired a 1965 Bayliner 19', I already know I have a huge
project ahead of me but before I can go much further, the fuel tank is
*full* of gas which has been sitting in there for over 4 years. There
was a bottle of stabilizer among the assorted crap in the boat but I'm
guessing this stuff must be far too old to run in a motor. How do I get
rid of it? There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

"James Sweet" wrote in message
So I recently acquired a 1965 Bayliner 19', I already know I have a huge
project ahead of me but before I can go much further, the fuel tank is
*full* of gas which has been sitting in there for over 4 years. There was
a bottle of stabilizer among the assorted crap in the boat but I'm
guessing this stuff must be far too old to run in a motor. How do I get
rid of it? There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

I've never done it but have heard of people that put a gallon or so at a
time in their car or cars everytime they fill them up. The small amount of
old gas with 2 stroke oil mixed with it apparently won't hurt anything.

Otherwise, you will have to transport it to your nearest hazardest waste
recovery facility.

http://www.gas-care.org/

Eisboch

James Sweet wrote in news:N_ZWg.1257$P92.1020
@trndny02:

There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

Where are you located, James? I burn it in my gas car, a Chevy V-8 EFI, if
it's free...(c; Just add 5 gallons to a tank of "new" gas to dilute it
with more octane producing light elements. If it knocks, cut back on the
old gas even more.

Does the gas smell like shellac or gas? Was it in a plastic tank or metal?
A full metal tank with no air pocket in it will store gas indefinately.
There's a metal tank on my Honda 5KW genset that starts on the first pull
that's been in there since 1989! It still smells like regular gas, not
shellac, because it cannot breathe in a full tank...losing light elements.

Don't pour water in your car, however....

4-stroke engines, by the way, run just fine on 50:1 2-stroke mix. We used
to call it "top oil" back in the 50's....a good thing.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Larry wrote:
James Sweet wrote in news:N_ZWg.1257$P92.1020
@trndny02:

There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

Where are you located, James? I burn it in my gas car, a Chevy V-8 EFI, if
it's free...(c; Just add 5 gallons to a tank of "new" gas to dilute it
with more octane producing light elements. If it knocks, cut back on the
old gas even more.

Does the gas smell like shellac or gas? Was it in a plastic tank or metal?
A full metal tank with no air pocket in it will store gas indefinately.
There's a metal tank on my Honda 5KW genset that starts on the first pull
that's been in there since 1989! It still smells like regular gas, not
shellac, because it cannot breathe in a full tank...losing light elements.

How about the fact that the gas cap is vented?

Don't pour water in your car, however....

4-stroke engines, by the way, run just fine on 50:1 2-stroke mix. We used
to call it "top oil" back in the 50's....a good thing.

I use my old mix in my riding lawn mower! Like you said, just fine if
there isn't any water in it!

Eisboch wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message

So I recently acquired a 1965 Bayliner 19', I already know I have a huge
project ahead of me but before I can go much further, the fuel tank is
*full* of gas which has been sitting in there for over 4 years. There was
a bottle of stabilizer among the assorted crap in the boat but I'm
guessing this stuff must be far too old to run in a motor. How do I get
rid of it? There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

I've never done it but have heard of people that put a gallon or so at a
time in their car or cars everytime they fill them up. The small amount of
old gas with 2 stroke oil mixed with it apparently won't hurt anything.

I'm liking that idea, the thought had occurred to me but I wasn't sure
if it was a good idea. Now to find something to siphon it into for the
time being.

Larry wrote:
[...]

I'm near Seattle, the tank is metal, if you want some of the gas you're
welcome to come and get it.

MMC wrote:
Larry,
How long should diesel last if the tank is topped up with no void for
condensation ?

Diesel lasts pretty well forever, it doesn't have nearly the volatiles
that gasoline has and it doesn't have alcohol in it to soak up water. I
have used ancient diesel without any problems and you can use it as fire
starter as well, or solvent, it's much safer stuff.

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

If you have trouble siphoning (don't know how your tank is set up) here's
something that worked for me.
I have a 20' Scout CC with a 100 gallon tank buried somewhere in the hull.
I was going to tow it to Florida and wanted to empty the full tank to
decrease weight. I found I could not siphon it out because I couldn't get a
tube down into the gas through the fill opening. So ... I went to AutoZone
and bought a cheap electric fuel pump for a car. (I think it was 24 bucks).
Got some clear, soft tubing and attached sections to the suction side and to
the outlet. I disconnected the fuel line where it exited the fuel
filter/water separator and connected the hose with the pump to the filter
outlet. Made a long set of leads with clips on them and connected to a
remote battery. Worked like a champ. I filled up my car, our neighbor's
car and a couple of friend's cars.

Eisboch